Qt 6.0 Gets A Release Date With An Initial Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0 Gets A Release Date With An Initial Release Schedule Published

Phoronix: Qt 6.0 Gets A Release Date With An Initial Release Schedule Published

The Qt Company has published an initial release schedule for Qt 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That pretty means it will be release in 2021.

Comment

... and due to their licensing change I'm not even sure KDE will be based on it.

Comment

... and I'm not even sure KDE is still relevant nowadays with their continued focus on mobile devices/users ... the whole 10 people in the entire world who have KDE installed on their smartphones.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          ... and I'm not even sure KDE is still relevant nowadays with their continued focus on mobile devices/users ...
          ... and you are talking nonsense again. The major focus of the main part of the KDE developers, are desktop applications and the Plasma desktop as always. That there also are some additional developers working on mobile devices, only shows the strength of the KDE developer community.

Comment

... and I'm not even sure KDE is still relevant nowadays with their continued focus on mobile devices/users ... the whole 10 people in the entire world who have KDE installed on their smartphones.
            It is because otherwise I may have to use that bag'o'shite called Gnome.

Comment

On a tangential note, I wish other desktop environments offered the equivalent of KDE connect -- it's pretty useful IME.

I've been on KDE Plasma Desktop on my primary Solus workstation for a couple of years now give or take (wow, has it really been that long?!). Apart from the obvious initial adjustment to the extra amount of settings compared to GNOME, it's been a better, more integrated desktop experience for me overall; Dolphin + Okular definitely leave Nautilus + Evince in the dust for my use cases.

I still use GNOME on my HTPC; partly for testing reasons and partly due to its almost comically oversized UI elements being ever so useful for couch control and because the pared down UX isn't an issue on a HTPC in my experience.

Horses for courses and YMMV obviously.

Comment

Litmus test: as long as KDE/Qt news trigger the usual knee-jerk reaction from the Gnome/GTK camp, they're still relevant :P

Comment

What you really mean is, "why don't they focus all their efforts on the concerns of the whole 10 people in the entire world who try to game on kde on wayland and who are all constantly whining about it on Phoronix".

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                    On a tangential note, I wish other desktop environments offered the equivalent of KDE connect -- it's pretty useful IME.
                    Yeah KDE connect is great - on my smartphone. On the desktop side I use GSConnect as the Gnome counterpart.
                    Last edited by George99; 27 April 2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X