No announcement yet.

Android 8.0 "Oreo" Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The proverbial idiot can buy say a Macbookair for about a single thousand dollars, and won't know about how the 4GB RAM is so pitiful as he's doing one or two things at a time (ok, they bumped it to 8GB, in mid-2016!)

Haven't checked the price. But in western Europe, it's doable for a minimum wage worker who doesn't own a car (and doesn't have kids) to afford that.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
      The proverbial idiot can buy say a Macbookair for about a single thousand dollars, and won't know about how the 4GB RAM is so pitiful as he's doing one or two things at a time (ok, they bumped it to 8GB, in mid-2016!)
      The main blocker there is screen size. Even a moron can see that the Air has a small screen. For 1k you get a pretty decent Windows ultrabook with a larger screen.

Haven't checked the price. But in western Europe, it's doable for a minimum wage worker who doesn't own a car (and doesn't have kids) to afford that.
      Not the point, it just costs around 2.5 times a similar entry-level device, so a determined person that needs a PC can just save for more time.

Comment

True that, they don't offer a "normal macbook" at 15" size, now you have to get a 15" Mac Book Air called the "Mac Book Pro".

There is a curious phenomenon though. The Macs have "bigger" inches than PCs, see, it's 16:10 so more area per diagonal inch.
        The Air has 1440x900 too, so it can be used without software scaling and it's a much better "pixel area" than 1366x768.
        I'm not trying to convince of anything. Seems like I would like a 13.3" Air, to wipe it and put linux on it as a matter of course, if not that I would absolutely hate how there are missing keys on the keyboard. Maybe I'd bind caps lock to Del and the right ctrl/alt equivalents to page up and down, and F12 to something else. That's still braindead.

Comment

Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post
          Cm/lineageos are able to update these phones, but if you've ever participated in contributing, you would know there are a ton of caveats to supporting legacy devices... things like having to forward port insecure features that have been dropped from android (like the one process media server that lacks seccomp integration), or having to add all sorts of hardware shims for blobs... backporting kernel features, but only getting partial support, in some cases... they do a great job, given the circumstances, but it's a tricky thing ... and there is no money in google or vendors supporting devices for 5yrs.
          You're talking around my point, which was Google created this mess. We already have a model for how create a sustainable ecosystem that allows for support for more than 2 to 3 years... and that is the PC industry. As far as no money in it, Android was created to fuel Google's money engine, which is advertising. They don't sell Android. They could just as easily work with the chip manufacturers to ensure longer term support. If Apple can figure it out, certainly Google can. As far as the claim, but Apple makes their own chips... Google can't force the manufacturers to cooperate. Considering that Android is fueling hardware sells, I believe Google has a bit of leverage here.

Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post
          Are they though? I mean project Treble would indicate google is trying to change the upgrade path for android, abstracting away the hardware making android easier to upgrade for longer... I think more of the blame rests on OEMs like Qualcomm, who use an linux-LTS that is usually near EOL and they never try to support a new kernel... I mean even my pixel is linux-3.18 (albeit with many backports), but really it would be better if Qualcomm would push out a newer kernel for my device, that would help ensure that if android was relying on some new kernel feature (in the future), the support would be there. (Unlike all of the old linux-3.4 devices that will never be able to support Nougat or Oreo+).

Anyhoo, it's a pretty complicated ecosystem. Hopefully, with Project Treble and other initiatives newer devices will start to have better upgrade paths for longer... it won't change the fact that most people want a new phone after 2yrs though.
          The point that most people wanting a new phone is anecdotal and really mean anything. Most people would like a new car every year. The point is do they have the money... and if you look at the statistics regarding Android version dispersion that tells another story. Most people as of three weeks ago are on Android 5.0 and earlier. Clearly, this is a huge problem. Again, the issue isn't whether or not someone chooses to buy a new phone every two years... it is whether they are being told if they don't, their device will be subject to security issues. This is textbook example of planned obsolescence for something that on average now costs about $500 - and for better or worse has become more or less a necessity in modern life. That is coercion capitalism - or more aptly put... extortion.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
            You're talking around my point, which was Google created this mess. We already have a model for how create a sustainable ecosystem that allows for support for more than 2 to 3 years... and that is the PC industry. As far as no money in it, Android was created to fuel Google's money engine, which is advertising. They don't sell Android. They could just as easily work with the chip manufacturers to ensure longer term support. If Apple can figure it out, certainly Google can. As far as the claim, but Apple makes their own chips... Google can't force the manufacturers to cooperate. Considering that Android is fueling hardware sells, I believe Google has a bit of leverage here.
            I'm not talking around your point at all. You mentioned cm/lineage supporting old devices, I pointed out that they do so, rather poorly under the hood... I'm not a huge fan of google, but they didn't create the mess (or even android for that matter, they bought it). The fact is that there is a ton of blame to go around, if you are going to continue to be hung up on doing that; some falls on google, some falls on OEMS and some falls on linux kernel/LTS model, development... Google doesn't sell android, per se - but they do license google play services,etc to OEMs. and all of the big boy vendors pay for that - as it's a huge part of android for most consumers. Google makes money off of android, not just adverts..

Project Treble IS a way of working with vendors to make the update/upgrading process for silicon manufacturers/vendors/OEMS. maybe you should reread what I wrote in this thread and also do some homework on the topic, before arguing about it??? ... the VTS (vendor test suite) is all about allowing the vendors having a stable vendor interface and test suite to ensure forward compatibility... then there is also the part where google is telling them to start using standard kernel interfaces for things like graphics drivers, even with the android kernel (and well; the fact that the android tree has slowly been making it's way into mainline anyway)... that's nit going to solve the problem with old legacy devices; but to use your Apple example - Apple doesn't support their old hardware that well, either... While it may be ancedotal; I know countless people who have had a system upgrade on older iphones leading to problems and basically being poorly supported, end up buying a new device...

PC industry and mobile induatry is like comparing apples to oranges. Microsoft and Apple provide a stable OS that doesn't go with major OS upgrades for years, x86 is moving slow with changes compared to ARM... mobile is just more of a moving target than PC land.

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
            The point that most people wanting a new phone is anecdotal and really mean anything. Most people would like a new car every year. The point is do they have the money... and if you look at the statistics regarding Android version dispersion that tells another story. Most people as of three weeks ago are on Android 5.0 and earlier. Clearly, this is a huge problem. Again, the issue isn't whether or not someone chooses to buy a new phone every two years... it is whether they are being told if they don't, their device will be subject to security issues. This is textbook example of planned obsolescence for something that on average now costs about $500 - and for better or worse has become more or less a necessity in modern life. That is coercion capitalism - or more aptly put... extortion.
            It's not ancedotal. Most people get a 'free' upgrade after two years, on a contract. The same isn't true of their vehicle... and some people do lease cars and get a new one every year or two...

It is a huge problem that is in the process of being solved; but all of those lollipop devices as legacy, no use crying over spilt milk... and no that isn't textbook planned obsolescence, that's easy to say, but if you know anything about the details of all of the new security features (98% are coming from newer linux kernels), you would realize it makes perfect sense that android should be making use of these features; it's not planned obsolescence... it isn't practical (or even possible) or backport many of these features back to old kernels... and you can argue with me about that; but hey! I actually contributed a lot of the required backports I speak of, to an older device/kernel for cm14/nougat ... I aklo attempted to backports some other retated security/hardening features and it wasn't possible ....

So complain all you like; but old devices are borked and a lit of that has to do with linux development, not just google or android.

You aren't being extorted. It's your choice to purchase a new device or not. No one is holding a gun to your head. Atop being so dramatic.

Comment

Google has officially announced the next version of android is android 8.0 Oreo. This Android 8.0 features including Adaptive icons, Install unknown apps, Picture in picture mode, Autofill API, Wi-Fi Aware (NAN), Android Instant apps, Background process limits, Smart text selection, Notification dots, New emoji of 60 sets & download fonts and more. First of all Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X device upgrade to latest android 8.0 or android Oreo. This android Oreo feature make your pixel device more secure, power efficient and fast compare to other devices.

Picture-in-Picture mode

Use two apps at once
              in your Pixel, nexus and other android 8.0 Oreo devices. Watch YouTube video while reading or chatting on Facebook or WhatsApp.

Autofill Framework

Using this Android 8.0 feature, you can log in your any account or app without enter a password, just give permission to your favorite apps want to log in. Autofill remembers your logins details.

Android instant apps

This android 8.0 Oreo features is useful when your android device has not more space and need to install apps. Using Android install apps feature, access apps from anywhere without downloading from Google Play store. User can easily access any apps with single click on a URL, just like a webpage. No installation needed of apps.

Google Play Protect

Google Play protect is built into every Pixel, Nexus and other android devices. It will scan all play store apps to protect your phone data and device safe. It will find malicious apps by scanning 50 billion+ apps every day and remove harmful apps.

Install Unknown apps

In android Nougat and previous version, we enable unknown source to install third party apps in your device. But in android 8.0 or android Oreo, you will manually give permission to install third party apps from several sources.

Notification dots

This is useful to see how many notifications you receive or missed on particular apps. Just press the notification dots to see what’s new in notification. Using this you can first of all check your favorite app notification.

To view all android Oreo tips and tricks, visit my site bestusefultips.com

Comment

Our Cambodian tour guide had latest iPhone. None of us had one. It was surprising.

Comment

I happen to update my Google Pixel 2 XL from Android 7.1 to Android 8.1 today. But now multiple app including FB Messenger and Snapchat doesn't seem to be working. As opened only loads a blank white screen and crashes themselves. Any one else been encountering same issue? Any idea how to get them working normally?

Comment

Originally posted by bishnugupta View Post
                    I happen to update my Google Pixel 2 XL from Android 7.1 to Android 8.1 today. But now multiple app including FB Messenger and Snapchat doesn't seem to be working. As opened only loads a blank white screen and crashes themselves. Any one else been encountering same issue? Any idea how to get them working normally?
                    Update: Just wanted to make an update real quick, the apps has been running smooth again upon an uninstall and reinstallation. So far really good experience with the Oreo update. Super hyped to get my hands to the Android P now. Google has been doing incredibly well when it comes about update unlike Apple's iOS 11.

Comment

Working...
                    X