System76 Rolls Out Lemur Pro Laptops With Core Ultra "Meteor Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Rolls Out Lemur Pro Laptops With Core Ultra "Meteor Lake"

Phoronix: System76 Rolls Out Lemur Pro Laptops With Core Ultra "Meteor Lake"

For those that have been interested in Intel's Meteor Lake mobile processors for the great integrated Arc Graphics capabilities and/or the new integrated NPU with open-source Intel iVPU kernel driver upstream, System76 today announced the new Lemur Pro laptops with Core Ultra processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

39b.jpg
    What a stupid design.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
      39b.jpg
      What a stupid design.
      Stupid because it doesn't match your personal preferences?

Comment

Intel Core Ultra Lemur Pro
        ICULP
        I see you'll pee

Wow. That is not a gamer friendly arrow key design. At least there's this so someone can remap the keys into something that works for their needs:

Comment

I would like to see them offer products in the ultra budget range. Realistically speaking Myself and many others really don't need this class of hardware. Even modern I3 processors are way more than enough for me now. I can easily skirt by with even an atom/pentium processor, or whatever the tier below I3 is now. I know a lot of people are the same now.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Stupid because it doesn't match your personal preferences?
            Stupid because it doesn't match the standard of literally any other laptop I've ever used in my entire life. What were they thinking with this?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Wow. That is not a gamer friendly arrow key design.
              I have lots of beef with non standard keyboard designs, but THIS is not among them. How many games do you play that are still controlled with the actual arrow keys? Most I know are WSAD.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
                39b.jpg
                What a stupid design.
                I was in agreement, but actually I think that might work OK. When I hit the shift key with my pinky I'm always hitting the left-most portion of the key, so there's no reason for it to be such a long key like it is on most keyboards. And arrow keys are different on a lot of layouts and especially different on laptops, those just take a bit of getting used to. I'll bet system76 did some testing and found that this works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

I have lots of beef with non standard keyboard designs, but THIS is not among them. How many games do you play that are still controlled with the actual arrow keys? Most I know are WSAD.
                  I still use arrow keys in games like BG3, in text editors, terminals, and a lot of places. I also posted a screenshot of their keyboard configuration tool that makes all of this moot.

It's a non-standard, odd design, but it has a way to be worked around so it's not a big deal. It's just inconvenient for people accustomed to a different way of doing things. Sort of related, but I'd prefer an inverted number pad option for keyboards; telephone style number pad. To this day bottom up number pads mess with me due to learning number/text layouts on phones at such a young age that PC and calculator number pads just don't feel intuitive to me.

Comment

Marketing Department Head, with bs economics degree:

"This laptop is not for gamers; it is exclusively for software developers. They will love it - streamline development no distraction yada yada"

Meanwhile, on Reddit... "Dude, almost every software developer is a gamer."​

Comment

Working...
                    X