No announcement yet.

System76 Rolls Out Lemur Pro Laptops With Core Ultra "Meteor Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the market for a new laptop, but sadly this one does not meet my latest requirements:

✔️ No Windows pre-installed
    ✔️ 16:10 Matte Display
    ❌ Wi-Fi 7
    ❌ AVX-512
    ❌ ANSI keyboard layout (with no stupid modifications)

I'll keep patiently waiting.

Comment

I think they should simplify the lineup:
      2 ultraportables 13 & 15 inch
      2 portable workstations 15 & 17 inch
      and offer 1440p and/or 2160p for all models.

I am more interested in their desktop for now, but If I had to buy a laptop, I would be bothered by the lack of screen definition for their sub 17" models.
      They are all 1080 or 1200p at best, not enough in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        Anyone that has ever read my posts knows I favor Intel over AMD for a number of reasons, but especially for open source because frankly Intel has THE most open source friendly software stack.

People also know that i have a big problem with KDE and the 24+ thousand open bug reports.

Having said this, I can't imagine anyone that wants to buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled would consider buying this thing, or more accurately should consider buying this thing.

Compare the base configuration of the Lemur Pro with the base configuration of KDE's Slimbook:

CPU
        Lemur - Core Ultra 5 125U, 4.3ghz, 12C/14T
        Slim - Ryzen 7-7840HS, 8C/16T

Base Ram
        Lemur - 8gb, 1x8 module, DDR5
        Slim - 16gb, 2x8 modules, DDR5

Base Storage
        Lemur - 500gb, PCIe M.2 SSD
        Slim - 250gb, NVMe

OS
        Both Ubuntu based

Monitor
        Lemur - 14.0” FHD+ (1920x1200) 16:10
        Slim - 16" WQXGA (2560x1600) 16:10 sRGB 100%, 165Hz, 400 nits

Base Price
        Lemur - $1399
        Slim - 999 Euros or $1085 in dollars, this price includes a 200 Euro discount for ordering before product is available at end of April

I would argue that the KDE Slimbook is a much better deal for those looking for a Linux laptop and in my opinion is a much more aesthetically pleasing design.

The Slimbook is a nice machine for the money with the preorder discount, especially for a smaller OEM. Obviously without the preorder discount the cost is much closer. The biggest downer for me on the Slimbook is no USB 4. It would be nice for future proofing and potential eGPU usage. If you want to keep the price down and want more RAM, the 5 euro option for a single 16GB SODDIM and adding your own 16GB for < $50 would work. Hmm...maybe I'll give my Strix 15 to my oldest and order the Slimbook 16.

Comment

Real linux gamers use hjkl.

With their left hand.

With the thumb operating the ctlr shift and alt.

Seriously, move the keyboard like 20cm to the left, tilt it a bit and try. It's much better.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Stupid because it doesn't match your personal preferences?
            One of the first rules of UX is not to surprise your users.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
              Real linux gamers use hjkl.

With their left hand.

With the thumb operating the ctlr shift and alt.

Seriously, move the keyboard like 20cm to the left, tilt it a bit and try. It's much better.
              I actually used to do something similar, then I got the razer tartarus pro and never looked back

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post

One of the first rules of UX is not to surprise your users.
                Don't call them rules if you can't point to a well established reference. UX doesn't have "rules". It has general guidance based on usability studies but there are always exceptions. The other day my friend found a surprising for her, new feature in her UI that she had no idea about was absolutely delighted to discover it. Surprises are fine and sometimes very welcome. It depends on the nature of it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I don't know if y'all could just give some laptops to Phoronix, but Slim vs Pangolin would be a rather interesting comparison and then Michael could give them away as a promotion to Phoronix Premium users. Everyone wins
                  There's actually two losers in that scenario, namely System76 and KDE that have just given away a laptop for free.

I could understand if there was a Keynesian Multiplier​ style effect from giving away free laptops but if free software, which doesn't cost them a thing, doesn't stimulate demand, this will only hurt them financially.

Good try though.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Those Slimbooks look very nice. I require Coreboot at a minimum and it doesn't appear that AMD is willing to work with Coreboot to get anything going so I don't have any AMD options. But for anyone else that would probably be a good deal.
                    What is it about Coreboot that you find is a requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

At least they didn't go full Commodore 64 style though

image.png
                      How exactly did that work? Did you have to push the shift key and the arrow if you wanted the opposite direction?

Comment

Working...
                      X