Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

Or you buy a base model and then upgrade it yourself which will come off a lot cheaper.

Too bad I did so myself and now I've no idea what to do with two 8GB DDR5 sticks as apparently no one needs them.
    Keep the sticks for debugging. I've been surprised how often non-ECC memory starts developing errors after a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by drhoho View Post

Keep the sticks for debugging. I've been surprised how often non-ECC memory starts developing errors after a year or two.
      That's weird to hear. The DDR5 standard mandates built-in ECC for RAM modules. That's not a full ECC protection which must include motherboard and CPU support but most if not RAM errors in my experience have been due to faulty memory modules, not due to the CPU memory controller or motherboard traces.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
        720p on a €1,000 laptop.
        ​
        2560x1600.. that is 1600p not 720p that would be above 2k (1440p) and below 4k (2160p)

Edit: I now see you were talking about the webcam built in my mistake lol. I will see myself out now.

Comment

That's weird to hear. The DDR5 standard mandates built-in ECC for RAM modules. That's not a full ECC protection which must include motherboard and CPU support but most if not RAM errors in my experience have been due to faulty memory modules, not due to the CPU memory controller or motherboard traces.
          My experience is with DDR4 memory so hopefully that issue is gone with DDR5.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
            I doubt this will be a stable experience given all the issues with AMD APU integrated graphics on Linux.
            I've yet to experience one in the few years that I've been using it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              720p is pretty typical for laptop webcams of any price point. Many that claim to be higher are just lying via interpolation or whatever.
              That too, and even then: does anyone need more than 720p in a laptop?

Comment

The case is absolutely beautiful, and that K on the lid is nice accent.

The price point is also very attractive, I just checked to see what a system with all the options maxed out cost and the price is lusted as 2148 Euros, about $2300 American, very competitive.

Compared to some other Linux hardware vendors who shall remain nameless, this is a much more appealing option.

I do have the same reservation regarding this offering, namely what if someone buys it and decides that instead of KDE Neon they would rather install Fedora or Arch or OpenSuse and they end up messing something up.

When the buyer calls customer service, what is the response?

At the base price it only comes with a 250GB NVMe, for me the sweet spot is probably 32GB ram and 2TB NVMe for the primary drive and a 2YB NVMe for the secondary drive, which bring the price to just over 1200 Euros, or about $1300.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  There's no space for a larger sensor. If you're making money by streaming nude videos in onlyfans, you might want to invest in a dedicated studio camera.
                  I think he was more concerned about being able to surprise people during a business meeting.

I remember during one meeting I said "excuse me while I whip this out" and then reached down in my seat and everyone's eyes lit up and to this day i do not know if they were relieved or disappointed when I pulled up my note cards so I could do my presentation.

Comment

I'd like to see some design theory and real world statistics on the current world of RAM errors
                    accounting for consumer CPUs / motherboards / DDR5 / DDR4 without system level ECC.

I know just from a communications theory standpoint when you start to pressure a communications channel
                    for more bandwidth etc. you'll increase the error rate, often to something that's "unacceptable" at the raw level
                    so then you might add some correction scheme to reduce the error rate to something "acceptable" while still
                    having higher-enough throughput. So if I was being pessimistic I could suppose the penny pinchers
                    could go "ah whatever it's only consumer stuff, nobody knows or cares as long as their youtube videos play
                    a few hours a day before their computer crashes" and maybe DDR5+"internal" ECC reliability is
                    not better than non-ECCed DDR4 or could be even somewhat worse ("ah who cares") accounting for
                    the increased error probabilities due to higher speed, smaller RAM circuits, higher ram density / size, ...

But now we've got 256GB DDR5 vs 128G DDR4 and I was worried before.....

Comment

More or less ok, for those who need 16", except the 720p cam in this age and w/o USB4! In the meantime my HP EliteBook 7840U/32GB/5G with 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD, which costed me ~USD1,650 only, is waiting for it to try Plasma 6!

Comment

Working...
                      X