Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I am very particular with a keyboard basically even a thinkpad keyboard especially the newer ones barely is good enough for me, and I like this mousepoints or whatever they are called. But besides that it's nice to see a full not only ryzen but even Radeon dedicated? System, because their market share seems to be near zero, but of course nvidia card makes not much sense in a linux notebook.

Comment

Really disappointed that is does not support USB4/Thunderbolt. The AMD 7840HS supports 2 USB4/Thunderbolt 4 ports so this is entirely the limitation of either the firmware or of the motherboard. Or the spec-sheet is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        could have lived with APU-only but if the dGPU has low idle consumption this would even offer an occasional gaming session (though I prefer notebooks for mobile work, for gaming stationary computers).
        The 780M is not a dedicated GPU. It is simply the brand name for the RDNA3 iGPU found on these 7040 series Ryzen. The article does mention it is an "integrated graphics".

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Or you buy a base model and then upgrade it yourself which will come off a lot cheaper.
          Yeah they should sell laptops without ram and SSDs
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
            720p on a €1,000 laptop.
            There's no space for a larger sensor. If you're making money by streaming nude videos in onlyfans, you might want to invest in a dedicated studio camera.

Comment

I have the Executive 16 with 12th gen Intel and it's awesome. And now I see they have the Excaliber 16 with AMD that looks really really nice.

Comment

I doubt this will be a stable experience given all the issues with AMD APU integrated graphics on Linux.

Comment

very interesting... but the design is an obsolete copy of a macbook. What a waste of opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
                    720p on a €1,000 laptop.​
                    720p is pretty typical for laptop webcams of any price point. Many that claim to be higher are just lying via interpolation or whatever.
                    Originally posted by avis View Post
                    €1000 will get you just 16GB of RAM (which is IMO too little in 2024, I'd go for at least 32 because you don't want to allocate less than 4GB to your iGPU) and just a 250GB NVMe drive.
                    For a €1000 laptop, I agree 16GB is a bit low. For the average user though, that's definitely plenty. Other than the few games/apps that detect how much VRAM you have, there's no point in specifying how much you allocate since it spills over into DRAM when full anyway. So, all you're doing when you allocate 4GB is limit yourself in other applications. When it comes to games, memory bandwidth is going to cause unplayable framerates on this GPU before an OOM situation.

Comment

Does the iGPU do ROCm? Just kidding.

Comment

Working...
                      X