X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conan-cimmerian View Post
    Yes seriously. I posted links
    Goebbels sponsored links?
    Last edited by shmerl; 01 December 2023, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Goebbels sponsored links?
      Yes Reteurs most definitely works for Putin 🤦‍♂️ nevermind that its a US based source

Comment

Yes Reteurs most definitely works for Putin
        Enough of Putin's sympathizers among the media. That's not saying anything.

Back to the point. Jolla is absolutely right kicking Russia out of partnership. Finns should know better than most who they are dealing with.
        Last edited by shmerl; 01 December 2023, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Enough of Putin's sympathizers among the media. That's not saying anything.

Back to the point. Jolla is absolutely right kicking Russia out of partnership. Finns should know better than most who they are dealing with.
          Putin sympathizers? 🤦‍♂️😂 thats not how it works, Reteurs is an internationally renowned organization that doesnt allow its editors to post their own opinion. Nice try though.

And who are they dealing with exactly? Russia is a country like any other. And again, Russia already forked SailfishOS so being "kicked out" hardly matters to them

Comment

This is political.
            More and more the U.S. forces Europe to close commercial ties with Russia and replace them with American ones, which are always more expensive and often of inferior quality. And yet Europe was once at the tech forefront both in software and hardware manufacturing, remember Minitel?
            If this goes on we'll be no more than an open air museum, a tourist destination for Chinese and... Russian travellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
              I'm using Sailfish on my phone for some years now. Jolla is regularly delivering updates, there are plenty of apps, much stuff is directly and well integrated into the OS where you would need extra apps on iOS/Android. I'm satisfied with it. Don't want to change.

New users should consider to buy a Sailfish license from Jolla to get the Android emulator: Unfortunately more and more services like buying a parking ticket or renting a bike are only accessible for Apple or Google users. No more website, no API. Only apps for iOS and Android. Duopoly forever. So you might want the Android support.
              Yes, and that is a problem. Banking and government identity apps regard the Sailfish android module as 'rooted' and refuse to work. Which kind of prevents a Jolla phone being a full daily driver.
              I've use a SailfishOS phone for years, but it is getting to the point where I will have to stop, for the above reasons. I'm likely to go towards Apple iOS, simply because I dislike Apple less than I dislike Alphabet/Google. I had hoped Jolla/SailfishOS could be come a European third way, but that hope is the merest glimmer of a spark in the stygian gloom around mobile data security and freedom of choice.

Comment

Russia is a country like any other. And again, Russia already forked SailfishOS so being "kicked out" hardly matters to them
                Russia is a country, much like North Korea. Conducting business is very challenging: obtaining financing is impossible, even opening a bank account for salary payments is not allowed, and manufacturing equipment is difficult due to sanctions – not to mention sales.​

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post

Russia is a country, much like North Korea. Conducting business is very challenging: obtaining financing is impossible, even opening a bank account for salary payments is not allowed, and manufacturing equipment is difficult due to sanctions – not to mention sales.​
                  And yet many Western companies have no problems doing business with Russia - apple does it, as do many others that value business over pointless politics. Opening a bank for slaray payments is not hard to do if you do business in china

Comment

And yet many Western companies have no problems doing business with Russia - apple does it, as do many others that value business over pointless politics. Opening a bank for slaray payments is not hard to do if you do business in china
                    Apple stopped selling iPhones and other products in Russia in March.
                    Jolla conducts its business primarily in the West and not in China. The R&D activities of Jolla are mainly located in Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

prove it then. If you are going to slander them. Prove it.
                      I don't slander them? I did not claim they did a crime, if they build it in, it would probably for a government, they have laws and legal scumback mafia organizations like the CIA that can either make individuals in companies or the whole company do that for them and lie about that publicly.

The whole warrant canary thing exists for that reason. I assume the worst if I can't proof it both ways... would you first trust a total stranger on the street your live and walk with your back to him in a neighborhood with lot's of crime? Like with knifes and stuff, or would you by default not trust anybody you don't know deeper. Are you accusing the stranger of a crime just because you don't trust them when you don't have enough information? No you just take the necessary precaution in a evil world.

But even if it weren't about backdoors proprietary software has not only that evil feature there is never any positive reason to use proprietary software, at best it's some sort of DRM that takes away freedom from the users.

That's why for android phones often after short time frame you can't upgrade them except with opensource clones, and now you can say there are blobs in them, but besides the modem which is really bad most other blobs are more or less optional like camera support and yes that still sucks but at least you can replace the thing with another 90% free thing and therefor get longer updates like many many more years, with blackberry at least real blackberry with their BB-OS you can't install anything else because they locked rooting, you are not even the real owner of the device at this point.
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 01 December 2023, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X