Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen4 AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U Linux Tests Forthcoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen4 AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U Linux Tests Forthcoming

Phoronix: Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen4 AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U Linux Tests Forthcoming

For those that have been eyeing an AMD Ryzen 7 7040 "Phoenix" series laptop for Linux use, over the coming weeks ahead there will be benchmarks and a review on the Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen4 with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U laptop. With this 8-core / 16-thread Zen 4 mobile processor clocking up to 5.1GHz, 64GB of LPDDR5x-6400 memory, 1TB NVMe SSD, and 2.8K OLED display it should be a real treat if the Linux support is all in good shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it support USB 4? It could be a fantastic portable workstation if it supports eGPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by espi View Post
      Does it support USB 4? It could be a fantastic portable workstation if it supports eGPUs.
      Looks like it, but it's the same port that power adapter goes in. So I suppose that might require some USB 4 dock.

Comment

Sounds like a hell of system! Glad you were able to secure one!

Comment

Is there a 16 inches variant of this?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Can you also "bench" the battery life, please?

Comment

Specs are great, i wish it will be available in 16 inches.

Comment

Too bad I missed this offer, 1300 would have been a much better deal than my Framework 16" Laptop which will end up around 2k for similar specs.
                Also, having it all neatly in 14" would be much nicer than having to carry around 16". But oh well.

Comment

It ships with Windows 11 Pro
                  That's a non-starter.

The RAM is soldered
                  Another non-starter.

At that price with those specs it easily beats out any of the Linux-loaded laptops otherwise available not to mention most (all?) of those Linux pre-load devices still being on Zen 3 when it comes to AMD laptop models.
                  If it doesn't have Coreboot, it's a non-starter.

Is this Phoronix or Windows Central? Where am I??

Comment

I bought a Lenovo T16 AMD last year and did a "Build Your Own", I got it with 32G of LPDDR5, the smallest SSD, windows home, and the 6850U in the $1300s (US $) and am very happy with it. Of course I swapped out the SSD for a WD 850X, 32G is enough for me and at least it works with fwupd so I can flash the BIOS without having to use Windows. It can be purchased with a higher capacity, but slower charging battery so it's the best of all worlds although I look forward to seeing how it compares with the 7840U.

It's never booted Windows, and flashing the BIOS only takes 90 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                    X