No announcement yet.

Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen4 AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U Linux Tests Forthcoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very interested in battery life of this thing and also how good are these oled displays? Should you be worried about it all the time and lower the screen brightness and move around things on display to avoid burn in. Will it last 3 years if you use it like IPS displays i mean not care about brightness level and static images on display?

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
      I
      It's never booted Windows, and flashing the BIOS only takes 90 seconds.
      I am curious i had GPU with dual bios if one was corrupted during update you could just switch it to second (there was hardware switch). Also have seen many motherboards with feature to restore bios easily if it got corrupted. Why there are no normal laptops with this kind of features? If bios gets corrupted usually you are screwed

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        >Soldered ram
        Another non-starter.
        It's an "s" or slim model so they always come like that. The regular P models usually don't have that issue. As for other non-s series they usually have one soldered and one socketed. Unless you find some golden models like the E495 which hilariously supports up to 64GiB in two sockets while being an entry level model.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
          It's an "s" or slim model so they always come like that. The regular P models usually don't have that issue. As for other non-s series they usually have one soldered and one socketed. Unless you find some golden models like the E495 which hilariously supports up to 64GiB in two sockets while being an entry level model.
          Still, we have plenty of Coreboot options already. I see no reason that GNU/Linux users have to be second-class citizens and accept machines that can't be Corebooted.

Comment

I like the RJ45 :-)

The soldered RAM (64GB will probably be enough for the next years) also has benefits (speed).

Comment

The RAM is soldered
              Oh no, not the Thinkpads...

Comment

Lenovo may have gone the soldered RAM route so that the end users don't have to deal with the system re-learning the RAM timings associated with DDR5, it can learn once and never have to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
                  Can you also "bench" the battery life, please?
                  Yep that 2.8k screen will chew the battery also how come the screen is only 60hz when the Yoga 2.8k has 90hz?

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

it may be marked 's' but it's not slim at all. Soldered ram is justified on very slim ultrabooks, otherwise it's nonsense. About speed, on desktop we don't have soldered ram but I don't feel they are slow...

Comment

The specs for the price are incredible, though I would not buy an AMD model, I would look for one with Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU or Arc GPU.

Michael, when you get this system and start testing it consider adding a new test to your standard suite:

What you could do is fire up 2 or 3 instances of PTS ( I assume it's reentrant) and you could also take a page out of MSU's playbook and make certain results available only to Premium subscribers.

These people have been testing video codecs for years and the make different versions of their reports available, The free report only includes some of the test results, while the paid versions have much more.

Maybe you can do the same thing, have the regular review and then have additional tests, such as a multitasking test, for your Premium members.

Comment

Working...
                      X