Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Begins Publishing "Virgo" Laptop PCB Design Specs, Confirms Intel Raptor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since they're going Raptor Lake, I'd love to see ECC memory in this laptop. If they're aiming for the mobile workstation market segment, that's one way to differentiate yourself from Dell and Lenovo right away.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Unfortunately AMD doesn't do any of the coreboot work required to get its chips on a system like this. So it would appear to be AMD that's not under consideration, not the other way around.
      That can't be true. AMD is the holy open source grail of CPU manufacturers, right?

(Don't hate on me: I'm a proud AMD user!)

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
        So [in theoretical terms]... once OpenSIL can support CONSUMER level (AM4 / AM5) level cpus, then can it be worked upon for support in coreboot? [at some later date]?
        Do you think System76 should make a theoretical laptop that might work at some future date?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          That can't be true. AMD is the holy open source grail of CPU manufacturers, right?

(Don't hate on me: I'm a proud AMD user!)
          Actually a friend pointed me to the holy open source grail of all cpu's the other day - the one that the old PDP-10 KA10 computer that Richard Stallman and the other hackers at the MIT lab were using in the 70's. You wrote your own cpu microcode, which they did and added paging that the PDP-10 originally lacked.

Of course, you would need room for about 19 full-sized refrigerators to run the KA10.

Comment

Does it have a TrackPoint like a ThinkPad?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Actually a friend pointed me to the holy open source grail of all cpu's the other day - the one that the old PDP-10 KA10 computer that Richard Stallman and the other hackers at the MIT lab were using in the 70's. You wrote your own cpu microcode, which they did and added paging that the PDP-10 originally lacked.

Of course, you would need room for about 19 full-sized refrigerators to run the KA10.
              Minus the size of the machine, this sounds like the ultimate holy open source grail that every FOSS person needs.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                Does it have a TrackPoint like a ThinkPad?
                The plan is to have a low profile mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  The plan is to have a low profile mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint.
                  Very very cool! Might be interested in one then!

Comment

Working...
                  X