Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Begins Publishing "Virgo" Laptop PCB Design Specs, Confirms Intel Raptor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    The plan is to have a low profile mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint.
    Very very cool! Might be interested in one then!

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Does it have a TrackPoint like a ThinkPad?
    The plan is to have a low profile mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Actually a friend pointed me to the holy open source grail of all cpu's the other day - the one that the old PDP-10 KA10 computer that Richard Stallman and the other hackers at the MIT lab were using in the 70's. You wrote your own cpu microcode, which they did and added paging that the PDP-10 originally lacked.

Of course, you would need room for about 19 full-sized refrigerators to run the KA10.
    Minus the size of the machine, this sounds like the ultimate holy open source grail that every FOSS person needs.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Does it have a TrackPoint like a ThinkPad?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    That can't be true. AMD is the holy open source grail of CPU manufacturers, right?

(Don't hate on me: I'm a proud AMD user!)
    Actually a friend pointed me to the holy open source grail of all cpu's the other day - the one that the old PDP-10 KA10 computer that Richard Stallman and the other hackers at the MIT lab were using in the 70's. You wrote your own cpu microcode, which they did and added paging that the PDP-10 originally lacked.

Of course, you would need room for about 19 full-sized refrigerators to run the KA10.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
    So [in theoretical terms]... once OpenSIL can support CONSUMER level (AM4 / AM5) level cpus, then can it be worked upon for support in coreboot? [at some later date]?
    Do you think System76 should make a theoretical laptop that might work at some future date?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Unfortunately AMD doesn't do any of the coreboot work required to get its chips on a system like this. So it would appear to be AMD that's not under consideration, not the other way around.
    That can't be true. AMD is the holy open source grail of CPU manufacturers, right?

(Don't hate on me: I'm a proud AMD user!)

Leave a comment:

• Zhivago
    replied
    Since they're going Raptor Lake, I'd love to see ECC memory in this laptop. If they're aiming for the mobile workstation market segment, that's one way to differentiate yourself from Dell and Lenovo right away.

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied
    Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post

I understand that AMD might have been rules out of consideration here for system76 guys. But just speaking in more general broader terms... how does the new AMD openSIL​ fit into the picture here? I mean in regards to which boot time component(s), be it the AGESA part, or UEFI part, or a coreboot?

Because isn't it supposed to be that openSIL will eventuall replace the AGESA? (closed source). Which then forms a subset / sub component that the UEFI bios interacts with?

So [in theoretical terms]... once OpenSIL can support CONSUMER level (AM4 / AM5) level cpus, then can it be worked upon for support in coreboot? [at some later date]?

Or are the AMD policies specifically prohibitive of such a future outcome? (these questions being more-or-less being regardless of whatever system76 is doing with this specific current laptop).
    It’s pretty much a guarantee that openSIL will not port backwards and it’s also currently just words in a press release and nothing more.

Intel has done the work and continues to do the work, I’ll take that over promises.

Leave a comment:

• dreamcat4
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

AMD don’t support coreboot, they’re not even a possible choice.
    I understand that AMD might have been rules out of consideration here for system76 guys. But just speaking in more general broader terms... how does the new AMD openSIL​ fit into the picture here? I mean in regards to which boot time component(s), be it the AGESA part, or UEFI part, or a coreboot?

Because isn't it supposed to be that openSIL will eventuall replace the AGESA? (closed source). Which then forms a subset / sub component that the UEFI bios interacts with?

Or are the AMD policies specifically prohibitive of such a future outcome? (these questions being more-or-less being regardless of whatever system76 is doing with this specific current laptop).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X