Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Laptop Launches AMD Ryzen Upgradeable Laptop, Intel Raptor Lake Models Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wish they'd offer an option for keyboard with trackpoint. A functional one, like old Thinkpads, not like the crap HP puts in theirs. And no touchpad option along with it.

Comment

If they just offered Coreboot, it would be such a great laptop!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        After years of running Intel laptops the one thing that Apple's MBA M1 has taught me is that the I86 world doesn't get it. Lower power usage (long run times) and high performance in a light package beats most other concerns.
        Maybe, just maybe, the bolded and underlined has something to do with it.

See also:

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Finally an option. They were not, when they did only offer Intel.

Plain and simple, I do not want Intel. Not in Zen era. And specially not in a laptop, where AMD is so much better that every Intel laptop simply looks bad.

Comment

I presume it comes with M$ "TPM" blackbox?

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
            And ofc the framework website does not offer any information on whether the Ryzen variant will support USB4.0 at all/with or without PCIe tunneling or at which speeds (20Gbit/s vs 40Gbit/s)

The engadget article covering it suggests that two module bays are full USB 4.0 and 1 is USB 3.2 with DP and the last one is just USB 3.2 - its the compromise you have to make for the different platform I guess

Last edited by Grim85; 24 March 2023, 05:53 AM. Reason: oops Quoted the wrong post

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Nice but I don't get the focus on upgrade capability in a laptop. If Framework really wanted to get me as a customer, a focus on reliability, ruggedness and low power, would be the selling points. After years of running Intel laptops the one thing that Apple's MBA M1 has taught me is that the I86 world doesn't get it. Lower power usage (long run times) and high performance in a light package beats most other concerns. Admittedly it is too bad Apple doesn't get some of their user concerns (they should be actively supporting Linux on this machine) but they make real the idea of a high performance laptop that goes for days on a battery charge.
              I can give you an example of my personal experience. I currently have an XPS 9560, and I absolutely adore this laptop. Amazing 4K 15.6" screen, beautiful shell, keyboard, i/o, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 1TB PM961 nvme SSD. Everything on this laptop is brilliant, but the CPU itself is getting long on the tooth - the 4 core 8 thread i7-7700HQ is starting to show its age with the stuff I am working on these days. This is a £2000 laptop. If I could drop in a new motherboard with an updated CPU and keep all the rest I would be saving a ton of money. Motherboards for framework laptop go for around £600 with a decent CPU on them.

I reckon I'm upgrading this year to the 16" framework.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

I can give you an example of my personal experience. I currently have an XPS 9560, and I absolutely adore this laptop. Amazing 4K 15.6" screen, beautiful shell, keyboard, i/o, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 1TB PM961 nvme SSD. Everything on this laptop is brilliant, but the CPU itself is getting long on the tooth - the 4 core 8 thread i7-7700HQ is starting to show its age with the stuff I am working on these days. This is a £2000 laptop. If I could drop in a new motherboard with an updated CPU and keep all the rest I would be saving a ton of money. Motherboards for framework laptop go for around £600 with a decent CPU on them.

I reckon I'm upgrading this year to the 16" framework.
                I feel this. Got XPS 7390 2-in-1 early 2020, specifically Ice Lake because at the time it was the only thin-n-light platform available w/ 32 GB RAM and OLED screen.

It's been a champion, but this year cooling fans start slow failing: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/C...1/td-p/7990190

Fortunately fans are available on eBay for $40 (once you figure out what models you need), but repairability of this thing is way more difficult than Framework. It's going to be a disassembly project once fans get here from China.

So yeah, I'm eyeing this Ryzen announcement with great interest.

Also: these days for me, it's OLED or nothing, so I contributed to their "What's holding you back from buying" thread: https://community.frame.work/t/if-yo...2/247?u=lkraav

I do like Framework concept a lot: community size, product team participating. This is what I want out of my next laptop. Although unless this XPS mobo straight dies one day, I think it will do for a few more years thanks to 32 GB RAM alone. Other than the really crappy keyboard key travel thing..
                Last edited by lkraav; 24 March 2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah, they did it! My old laptop is probably gonna last another 6 to 8 years but then I'm tempted to buy a new laptop instead of an old used one.

I've gone through their laptop config tool and couldn't see any display options, do they only offer one panel?

Comment

The Windows keyboard key should be swappable for a generic or Linux one.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                      The Windows keyboard key should be swappable for a generic or Linux one.
                      (5) I Made a Bad Decision – Framework Investment Update - YouTube

Linus Tech Tips just released a video showcasing swapable keypads, numpads, RGB strips, small 2nd display, and hell yes if you pay for it instead of a windowskey you get a superkey on your keybord .

Comment

Working...
                      X