Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Laptop Launches AMD Ryzen Upgradeable Laptop, Intel Raptor Lake Models Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop Launches AMD Ryzen Upgradeable Laptop, Intel Raptor Lake Models Too

Phoronix: Framework Laptop Launches AMD Ryzen Upgradeable Laptop, Intel Raptor Lake Models Too

The Framework Laptop as a modular and upgradeable laptop has garnered much interest from the open-source community and PC enthusiasts the past few years. Until today though the upgradeable laptops have just been Intel Core powered while today the company had some big announcements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very nice, lookin forwards to it!

Comment

"also announced today that they will be introducing the Framework Laptop 16 later in 2023 as their larger laptop with modular discrete graphics and more." This is big news, upgradable graphics on a laptop is something that has never really existed, having a GPU and RAM on a stick that plugs into the PCIe bus would be a huge welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        "also announced today that they will be introducing the Framework Laptop 16 later in 2023 as their larger laptop with modular discrete graphics and more." This is big news, upgradable graphics on a laptop is something that has never really existed, having a GPU and RAM on a stick that plugs into the PCIe bus would be a huge welcome!
        MXM modules were and are still a thing, I had a laptop with one. I don't think they'll invent something new and proprietary here.

Comment

Finally an option. They were not, when they did only offer Intel.

Plain and simple, I do not want Intel. Not in Zen era. And specially not in a laptop, where AMD is so much better that every Intel laptop simply looks bad.

Comment

And ofc the framework website does not offer any information on whether the Ryzen variant will support USB4.0 at all/with or without PCIe tunneling or at which speeds (20Gbit/s vs 40Gbit/s)

Comment

The AMD offering is a huge step forward. Would still love to see a trackpoint option! That's the only thing keeping me on my thinkpad. With thinkpad's use of soldiered RAM in their most recent models, a framework laptop is looking more and more preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

MXM modules were and are still a thing, I had a laptop with one. I don't think they'll invent something new and proprietary here.

Comment

I'm excited both for AMD and for a 16 inch performance model. Next laptop will be a framework 16" if I can by it in my country in 2-3 years.

Comment

So after getting my first modular phone (fairphone 4) I'm now also getting my first modular laptop (after having had a T470S to have at least something mobile).

Comment

Working...
                    X