Dell's New XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition Now Certified For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell's New XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition Now Certified For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Phoronix: Dell's New XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition Now Certified For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Canonical and Dell are jointly announcing that the new Dell XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition laptop has been officially certified for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

• Operating System

(Dell Technologies recommends Windows 11 Pro for business)

Ubuntu® Linux® 20.04 LTS
    from https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...x13w11p1c4001u

Comment

is being certified for Ubuntu a badge of honor these days, or a sign that a product should be avoided?

Comment

What a nightmarish looking ultrabook.

Comment

Originally posted by bzs0 View Post
          is being certified for Ubuntu a badge of honor these days, or a sign that a product should be avoided?
          Given every time it's certified for some laptop, the hardware is a pig... I would say this color of lipstick is indeed a warning sign.

Comment

I have liked the Latitude 5xxx (both newer and older) but this is abomination. Home/end/pgup/pgdn/del as capacitive touch whatevers instead of buttons? No thanks...

Comment

On another note, I have had great Linux experiences with all the Dell laptops I have had, without Linux certification. Still it's nice to have certified models, that's a marketing point after all. I wish the Latitude series got certified, if they aren't already.

Comment

I got a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre installed but I already decided to switch to Fedora Silverblue. I had enough of Ubuntu and I am really happy with the new work flow of Fedora Silverblue. My development system is not anymore mixed with the OS and the updates are not breaking anything. Actually I am surprised how modern Fedora is compared to Ubuntu. Perfect time to switch.

Comment

What they are not telling you here is that there's a lot of drivers for this laptop that are not upstream yet. The sound driver (soundwire), the intel ivsc driver, the webcam sensor, and it needs acpi_osi-statements to be able to suspend properly. You're in for some hours of tedious debugging if you want this laptop to work on some other linux than that preloaded dell ubuntu linux they provide.

And that webcam drivers seems pretty far from upstreaming, it requires a big bunch of proprietary stuff now to get working. I hope I'm wrong about the time it will take though.

But I see this as a bit of a step back, really, the earlier XPS-es didn't have this much jank. It's more like some Android release now.

Comment

envy?

Comment

Working...
                    X