Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Announces "Kudu" AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Powered Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Announces "Kudu" AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Powered Laptop

System76 is today announcing their latest AMD laptop in the form of the Kudu with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor and up to 64GB of RAM...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...76-Kudu-5900HX

"high-end"
    "1080p"

Well, I guess it will be fast enough.

Comment

What an ugly brick..

Comment

i just can't understand why people buying is kind of product. That's pretty much a rebranded cheap laptop from china. Is it for linux support? I doubt that, considering the hardware it has. It doesn't live up "linux laptop" gimmick.

Comment

Missed opportunity to include an AMD graphics option

Even if NVIDIA is the gold standard in computing (due to CUDA), AMD should be an option as the Linux community has a large base of AMD seekers...
          Last edited by tildearrow; 01 February 2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
            "high-end"
            "1080p"

Well, I guess it will be fast enough.
            1080p is the sweet spot for laptops IMO. 1:1 app scaling is acceptable (especially in 15.6"), it uses less power at idle than 1440p, and... its cheaper. You can (theoretically) put the money into other useful features like a wider gamut, higher refresh, better backlights, or VRR. And the sharpness jump from 1080p to 1440p doesn't feel as big as it does in a desktop monitor or TV.

Only other res I would want is 4K, where integer scaling can be used when needed, and otherwise non-native resolutions don't look as "fuzzy" thanks to sheer brute force.

Anyway, yeah, that's quite a premium for explicit linux support. Systems76 kinda feels like the Apple of linux laptops.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 01 February 2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Does it come with working suspend/resume ? Previous experience with the Ryze 5XXX series hasn't been good on Ubuntu

Comment

1.8 kUSD is a lot for a laptop that is probably a Clevo. Nice specs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

1080p is the sweet spot for laptops IMO. 1:1 app scaling is acceptable (especially in 15.6"), it uses less power at idle than 1440p, and... its cheaper. You can (theoretically) put the money into other useful features like a wider gamut, higher refresh, better backlights, or VRR. And the sharpness jump from 1080p to 1440p doesn't feel as big as it does in a desktop monitor or TV.

Only other res I would want is 4K, where integer scaling can be used when needed, and otherwise non-native resolutions don't look as "fuzzy" thanks to sheer brute force.
                  For me, the sweet spot is a 17" 4k screen with no scaling: I can put a 1080p window in each corner, or expand a window to 1920x2160ish. I got a laptop with this screen format last year, and it's the first time I haven't felt cramped working on just a laptop screen. Interfaces are still designed for 1080p, so everything just works, unlike with a 1440p screen. The battery life sucks, but it's worth it for the increased productivity.

I ended up going with an Intel based system, using the onboard graphics, and no dGPU. I would have preferred an AMD system, but they all seem to come with NVidia GPUs and their driver headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

1080p is the sweet spot for laptops IMO.
                    1080p is low resolution crap IMO, but I'm not a gamer, and this isn't aimed at me I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X