X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I'm lucky enough not to be working anywhere that is quite that particular, but I've visited the R&D of one company who were very strict about anything with a camera, so know what you mean.
    Precisely. Using another person's laptop is always a chore, especially if it's a corporate laptop imaged with a less-than-ideal configuration of Windows.

It's always a wonder how corporations can image an i7 laptop with Windows 10 and have it feel much slower than my Celeron laptop with a clean Windows 11 installation.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Laptops with webcams can go to hell. The number of places my laptop has been denied clearance for use at work because of the webcam is staggering.
    I'm lucky enough not to be working anywhere that is quite that particular, but I've visited the R&D of one company who were very strict about anything with a camera, so know what you mean.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I will pay good money for a laptop without one.
    I did. The laptop has it's own quirks, but all of the issues seem to have been sorted (although frankly they never should have been issues users faced in the first place!) and I'm overall really pleased with my Asus G513Y Advantage Edition.

It's just a shame it has so much "gamer bling".

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Laptops with webcams can go to hell. The number of places my laptop has been denied clearance for use at work because of the webcam is staggering.

I will pay good money for a laptop without one.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Does Tongfang produce better build qualities than Clevo? Clevo's build quality is pretty bad.
    Seems to depend more on the model than the ODM. I've had two Clevo rebrands, one (17" desktop replacement) with build quality so poor I could barely believe it had passed inspection, one (15" "lightweight" workstation) built so well I used to joke that it might have been the true successor to the IBM Thinkpads. Although a lot of my dislike for the 17"er was down to the fact that the keyboard was appalling.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Huh? Tuxedo rebrands Tongfang laptops, not Clevo laptops.
    Tuxedo rebrands Clevo, too. I have an older Tuxedo (2012) which apparently is a Clevo W551SU (not sure if the modelno is correct - but something like this) . Albeit I'm not aware of all current models and upcoming ones.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I went from having an Alienware 15 with a 4K@60Hz screen to the ASUS AMD Advantage with 1440p@165Hz and I'm not missing the extra pixels - thankfully

Mostly because there's still to many weird graphical issues with Plasma under X11 with HiDPI, it's even worse if you switch between Wayland and X11 - which you think there would be tests to make sure it displays *exactly* the same
    ok, from the gaming point of view I would also prefer your screen option. But as said earlier it is a work Laptop
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 03 February 2022, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Yes, I'm sure Intel is bribing OEMs using AMD CPUs to pair them with Nvidia dGPUs instead of AMD dGPUs . Your comment makes zero sense given the context of what you quoted. We were talking about the dearth of all AMD laptops with discrete GPUs. There are tons of offerings with Zen + Nvidia.
    It seems you haven't thought through my thought thoroughly.
    To give it a Context https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc..._v._Intel_Corp.

Now, to my point: At the moment OEMs are offering more intel Laptop variants/combinations then AMD ones. Just have a look at the big players Dell and Lenovo. Dispite the fact that AMD is offering at least equal performing mobile CPU's to a competitive pricepoint. Just by the statistics(<- lets highlight this) of the permutations of configuration options it is less likely that you will find a desired AMD CPU/GPU combo than a Intel CPU; AMD/Nvidia GPU one.

Back to the context intro I gave earlier. Intel is know for its history of harming rules of the free market by illegal actions - bribeing OEM.
    The demand of AMD Laptop requests is rising since the debut of Zen 1 ...why are there still not enough AMD options? Do we still have a ratio of 10:1 Intel:AMD? This should be enough informations to be able to understand my comment derived by statistics and a potential market manipulation.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 03 February 2022, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I'm running 5.17-rc2 with a few backported patches from what will be 5.18 to get the wifi working on a warm reboot

Suspend issues now gone, things work great, especially for gaming
    Agree with the gaming point. I was amazed how well the 6800M handles things at 1440p, even when I crank everything to maximum on something like Kingdom Come: Deliverance (which had almost as much of a reputation for being a GPU killer as the original Crysis, but, of course, CryEngine)...

But I'm really disappointed with compute performance.

Leave a comment:

• funtastic
    replied

Tuxedo does rebrand Clevo laptops, see many examples on this table: https://bitbucket.org/tuxedocomputer...mi/src/master/

An example on images: CLEVO PC70DS-D: https://clevo-computer.com/en/hot-of...tx-3080?c=1425

Resold by Tuxedo: https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/L...7-Gen12.tuxedo
    Resold by System76: https://system76.com/laptops/oryx

I don't see the point of trying to contradict me, I am telling you I am running the tuxedo driver on my Clevo laptop unless you suggest I'm making it up...

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied

Does Tongfang produce better build qualities than Clevo? Clevo's build quality is pretty bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X