Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZaReason Linux PC Vendor Closes After More Than A Decade Of Selling Linux Hardware

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Exactly! To blame Covid here flies against all reason, if anything Covid should have resulted in their best year ever.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Micheal I really hate this sort of nonsense reporting. Your article highlights right in the text that the major problem here wasn't COVID but rather: "In recent years we've heard less from the Berkeley based company as they battled increased competition from the likes of System76, Purism, Tuxedo Computers, and also more Linux pre-loaded devices coming directly from the likes of Lenovo and Dell.". Honestly I really am getting sick of the constant need for everybody to blame everything on COViD. Yes it exists but it has become far too easy for people to cite for every failure we see these days. In this case you have written about a business almost nobody on this forum has even heard of.
      I am simply going by what their own statement said, attributing it to COVID.

      Edit: And to add, while yes PC sales are up, I don't know if ZaReason was impacted by any local orders in Berkeley... Or if Earl or other key employees were hit by COVID or anything like that.
      Last edited by Michael; 05 December 2020, 07:17 PM.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Micheal I really hate this sort of nonsense reporting. Your article highlights right in the text that the major problem here wasn't COVID but rather: "In recent years we've heard less from the Berkeley based company as they battled increased competition from the likes of System76, Purism, Tuxedo Computers, and also more Linux pre-loaded devices coming directly from the likes of Lenovo and Dell.". Honestly I really am getting sick of the constant need for everybody to blame everything on COViD. Yes it exists but it has become far too easy for people to cite for every failure we see these days. In this case you have written about a business almost nobody on this forum has even heard of.
        So you're saying... COVID isn't ZaReason they died? *badum tss*

        Sorry, as soon as I read the article I knew I need to make a play on their name, I couldn't resist.

        Agreed. I actually never heard of this company until today, and looking at the Wayback archive of their site, look like they've been struggling to stay relevant for a while.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Society isn't suffering so much from Covid but rather much of the nonsense that has been created due the illness.

          The lock downs have done nothing for us for example, mainly because they where implemented way too late to do any real good.

          Beyond that the actually death rate is no worse than a really bad flue season, so there really is no justification for the hysteria over Covid.
          100% agree that the hysteria & lock-downs created to serve political reasons are causing incredible damage (especially to small businesses) [large businesses are growing, while small businesses are going under.]

          Berkley is currently under lock-down from California Governor preventing functioning of businesses.

          As per the other posts I wouldn't blame Michael for calling it as "due to COVID" even if partially inaccurate because the notice ZaReason published on their website directly states:

          "Unfortunately, the pandemic has been the final KO blow."


          I don't ever recall seeing much in my news feed about this company. I think the death & rebirth process can be natural and even though it's sad to see one of our own go under hopefully they will move on to other challenges and we will see new players rise up in their places.

          I do fear the lock-downs have been devisive in stifling mom & pop and small businesses as a suffocation tactic. Clearly the lock-downs are bullshit when Walmart gets to stay open and the small guys aren't.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Beyond that the actually death rate is no worse than a really bad flue season
            First off, it's "flu". A flue is the exhaust from a furnace etc.

            Secondly, your statement is a lie. Not an "alternative fact", not "a different opinion". A lie, plain and simple, and a blatant one at that. Take that BS to Facebook where there are still other people like you stupid enough to believe it and incapable of subtracting one number from another.

            Yes, the lockdowns are mostly a mess, hugely biased again small businesses, and so on. But your core claim is a lie, and lying to try to support a position makes everything else you say less credible even if there's actually some truth to those other parts.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              I do fear the lock-downs have been devisive in stifling mom & pop and small businesses as a suffocation tactic. Clearly the lock-downs are bullshit when Walmart gets to stay open and the small guys aren't.
              They've really only effected restaurants, large and small, where I live... Some of the restaurants are better off now due to the pandemic. All they have to do is run a skeleton crew and sling to-go's all day long. Business is up while employment is down - higher profit margins.

              But for me the bullshit is when you see all the signs at Wal-Mart, Kroger, gas stations, restaurants, bars, and everywhere else about mandatory masks, occupancy limits, etc and there isn't a single person counting people at the entrance, crowds of people clustered together, and cops are walking around without masks on. There's no enforcement of anything by anyone, anywhere and regular people aren't even trying to social distance.

              What sucks is where I live all the church groups fighting wearing masks at church. "But we gots ta take off ar masks ta sing to the Lawd. Jesus - Make Everything All Right. Y'all are violatin' muh Sep'ration of Church 'n State. Don't tread on me. They took our jerbs. A took a derrr."

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by arQon View Post

                First off, it's "flu". A flue is the exhaust from a furnace etc.

                Secondly, your statement is a lie. Not an "alternative fact", not "a different opinion". A lie, plain and simple, and a blatant one at that. Take that BS to Facebook where there are still other people like you stupid enough to believe it and incapable of subtracting one number from another.

                Yes, the lockdowns are mostly a mess, hugely biased again small businesses, and so on. But your core claim is a lie, and lying to try to support a position makes everything else you say less credible even if there's actually some truth to those other parts.
                Well said.

                Not that it's your fault, but meanwhile, back on topic: Whilst I've never bought anything from ZaReason (or any other US-based Linux vendor, since unlike the larger US vendors they don't easily ship internationally), it's sad to see them go - unlike some of the others commenting, I had heard of them before this despite not being US-based. I hope that other small Linux-based vendors survive.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Sadly, the Linux crowd can be tough.
                  For business purchases, the major oems have huge cost savings. And I'd argue a large portion of us prefer to build our own systems with hand picked parts. I haven't had a prebuilt pc since the days of e-machines and that was a family computer.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by mastermind
                    Please stop repeating propaganda.
                    Even according to recently published official 156 dead with infected 1586, the infection fatality ratios are as follows (probability of death IF INFECTED):
                    0-19 years - 0.00003% (1 in 3333333 chance)
                    20-49 - 0.0002% (1 in 500000)
                    50-69 - 0.005% (1 in 20000)
                    70+ - 0.054% (1 in 1852)
                    I would suspect someone forgot to moving the decimal point.

                    Australia.
                    https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...d-case-numbers
                    908 dead from covid 27956 confirmed infected.
                    908/27956 give 0.03~ or 3 percent.

                    50-69 its join up two Australian numbers.

                    50-59 dead 15 infected 3296 15/3296 =0.004~ In percent this is 0.4%~
                    60-69 dead 38 infected 2361 38/2361=0.016 ~ in percent this is about 1.6%
                    50-69 dead 53 infected 5657 53/5657= 0.009~ in percent that is 0.9%


                    70-79 by Australian number
                    156 dead with infected 1586 total. Yes 9-10% death rate and that is the good side.

                    mastermind where are your source numbers. The Australian source numbers suggest at least you failed to move the decimal point when you added % symbol.

                    Also 50-69 for usa medical numbers sounds completely wrong. CDC numbers are on the 5

                    CDC age numbers go like the following in record keeping.
                    Under 1 years
                    1–4 years
                    5–14 years
                    15–24 years
                    25–34 years
                    35–44 years
                    45–54 years
                    55–64 years
                    65–74 years
                    75–84 years
                    85 years and over

                    So 0-19 years is not a normal CDC number. Same with 20-49 same with 50-69 same with 70+. So where in hell did you get your numbers mastermind they are not normal USA CDC pattern. Even Australia they are not a normal Australian breakdown. Or are you making up numbers???

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
                      Sadly, the Linux crowd can be tough.
                      For business purchases, the major oems have huge cost savings. And I'd argue a large portion of us prefer to build our own systems with hand picked parts. I haven't had a prebuilt pc since the days of e-machines and that was a family computer.
                      Or when we do buy prebuilt we're buying workstations with components that are really hard to find on the open markets like Pro APUs.

                      I did a glance over of their site on the wayback and they offered a lot of stuff with Nvidia GPU options, and, quite frankly, desktop-wise they didn't offer anything special that we couldn't build out of off-the-shelf parts from Newegg. At least System76 offers those spiffy looking woodgrain cases...granted their upgrade prices are highway robbery.

                      I wish there was some company that didn't charge an extra 50% on drive and ram upgrades with their configuration tool. Seriously. That's the company that'll start getting more business. How many of y'all buy the base model from the company and the upgrades from Amazon or Newegg? Exactly. Nobody wants to pay $450 for a 2TB SDD or $350 to upgrade from 16GB to 64GB of ram.
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 05 December 2020, 09:45 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X