Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On A $199 AMD Ryzen Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Ah, too bad it still needs a fan. I like my cheap laptops to be fanless. I wonder how often it runs.
    I don't have that laptop but i do have an Ryzen based Acer laptop and i can't say that the fans bother me.
    I hate the sound of fans but even if my laptop would be full fans it's not very loud but the thing is that there only full speed until it post bios.
    Even gaming on my laptop it's still rather quiet.
    I had an AMD A12 9830 with RX460 for a short time but the fans drove me crazy so i had to get rid of it.
    It's not that much heat that must be dissipated with a max power draw of 35W so i wouldn't expect that you hear much fan noise at all.

Comment

These cheap and good machines - I hope they will have some AMD 4xxx APUs models soon enough and as cheap as these ones - should come with LiGNUx pre-installed, even if it is using other brands and then they will earn more money selling more all over the world just using Amazon Gearbest and or similars.

Comment

Originally posted by biffzinker View Post

Unfortunately there is only one SO-DIMM slot limiting the 3200U to single channel bandwidth. There is however two M.2 slots.
        Sigh, one of the most annoying tricks done in lower end laptops, I'd rather they charge extra for a keyboard than kneecap the IGP's bandwidth capabilities as there isn't a damn thing you can do to address the situation.

Edit:

There is the HP 14" Laptop, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, 4GB SDRAM, 128GB SSD, Whisper Silver, 14-dk0028wm which is available from Walmart for $249 and according to the Crucial website this has 2 memory slots but I'd double check that to be sure, I suspect it's one 4GB bank soldered and one free.
        Last edited by Slartifartblast; 01 February 2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
          These cheap and good machines - I hope they will have some AMD 4xxx APUs models soon enough and as cheap as these ones - should come with LiGNUx pre-installed, even if it is using other brands and then they will earn more money selling more all over the world just using Amazon Gearbest and or similars.
          I think that the cheap laptops will be a refreshed 3000-series APU and 4000-series will be used in a little more expensive laptops.
          As was presented at CES there will be some very good and well priced laptops with 4000-series APU.
          I myself hope to find a good deal on a 4000-series based laptop but i expect to pay a bit more than the $199 laptop in this article.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

There is the HP 14" Laptop, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, 4GB SDRAM, 128GB SSD, Whisper Silver, 14-dk0028wm which is available from Walmart for $249 and according to the Crucial website this has 2 memory slots but I'd double check that to be sure, I suspect it's one 4GB bank soldered and one free.
            I agree equipping Ryzen APU systems with single channel ram is a crime, but that HP is sadly quite compromised as well. "High Definition detail of 1M pixels" is code for a 720p display.

I've been satisfied with the Motile M142 since it has a slim bezel 1080p IPS matte display. I can deal with the gimped graphics since I use it as a mobile productivity machine - browsing, video playback, typing, compiling, etc. and I do all of my gaming on a separate desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

IMHO - Finding a low priced laptop with really good performance that does not require a fan is like trying to find a great tasting wine that isn't old or doesn't cost a nice bit of money.
              Well, a PC with competent performance and no motors is like a holy grail for me. I've always frowned at the CPU fan ever since I first laid eyes on it back in the mid 90's. My old 386 didn't even need a heat sink.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                Its better to has the other OS if needing it
                Personally, I don't see how this would be better and I see no reason why I would need it. I haven't used it for 12 years at home. I'm not all of a sudden going to need it.

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                (besides for those with attitude problems that can't deal with it).
                The only attitude problem here is your attitude towards those who don't have any attitude problems but just DON'T need the other OS. Do you make a habit of spending money for something you will never use? You must be every company's dream then! Does your robot vacuum also mow the lawn although you don't own a yard?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  Michael - What about the display? Is it a TN or IPS panel?
                  One of the reviews (on the internet) says that this laptop has an IPS display.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    How does this compare to a Pinebook pro?
                    IF
                    (a) whoever really manufactures this can keep making it and selling it retail for $199; and
                    (b) this signals the beginning of the same type offering by other manufacturers;
                    THEN
                    things are not looking quite as good for the Pinebook Pro as they were a month ago.

It's still a great 14" ARM-based Linux machine, with a superb display, magnesium-alloy case, $199 price, et. al. Below are the links so you can check it out-along with videos--for yourself.

https://www.pine64.org

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Few years ago there was an article that said Microsoft was only charging $15 a license on low end laptops, then like another couple of years later there was an article saying they were going to cut it even further to compete with Chrome books. Not sure how that panned out but it's not likely these low end laptop manufacturers are paying much of anything for their windows licenses.
                      Thanks for that Info. For Workstation Notebooks it is definitely more (e.g. Dell). If you want to use more then a certain amount of cores you also need to pay for an add-on... well Im glad that I have choosen the Linux variant all cores for free

edit: I have just checked it Win 10 Pro (4 Cores Plus) vs. Ubuntu 18.04 is around 261.47$
                      Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 February 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X