Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo To Address Linux Laptop Thermal Throttling, Lower Performance Against Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    I think my laptop works the other way. It assumes on disk. It doesn't even run the fan at full speed when everything inside read 99C.
    Apple user detected

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I dislike stupid people technology.

Q: How hard of a concept is "hot, don't touch"?

A: Apparently, very hard. We have this.
      It's not about not harming the user, nor about protecting the CPU from thermal damage. Being on a desk and on a lap is different (namely the latter is usually insulating and blocks any airflow, thermals are much worse)
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 September 2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

It's not about not harming the user, nor about protecting the CPU from thermal damage.

It's about cheating thermodynamics as much as possible to fake you have a higher performance processor. ARM processors do this all the time, Intel's CPUs are just MUCH hotter so it's harder.
        Seems like it's more about running as fast as possible, based on influence of environment on cooling efficiency.

Well, what about cooling pads? If laptop is placed on cooling pad, then it's cooled better, and can produce more heat, therefore run with more performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I did try, 2x in the last couple of weeks to be exact. My ThinkPad L380 Yoga has an Intel Kaby Lake R CPU.
          That's weird. That thing does wonders to the Kaby Lake R in my XPS 13.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

It's not about not harming the user, nor about protecting the CPU from thermal damage. Being on a desk and on a lap is different (namely the latter is usually insulating and blocks any airflow, thermals are much worse)
            The absolute worst is putting a laptop on a blanket in bed. Damn thing can't breathe and just chokes and screams quitely while it is cooked alive.

Comment

The graphic lists a cinebench score for linux! I didn't think Cinebench existed for Linux, or did they get that by running it under Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                EDIT: And with your user name, you can own this thread.
                Dang it skeevy!
                I was about to comment on his name being ironic, but you beat me.

Comment

Hm, I haven't experienced thermal throttling myself. My CPU goes all the way from 400 MHz to 2700 Mhz, no problem. Of course, at those higher frequencies it hits 80 degrees celsius and the fan ramps up to 7500 RPM.

It's possible I experienced this problem 1-2 years ago, but I thought it was due to some UEFI setting set for maximum battery life. I changed that to maximum performance and haven't had any problems since.

Either way, it's bad that Intel doesn't support this feature under Linux, and it's good that Lenovo has promised to do something about it, and push those updates through LVFS.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

The absolute worst is putting a laptop on a blanket in bed. Damn thing can't breathe and just chokes and screams quitely while it is cooked alive.
                    Haha yes, I've made this mistake. At first I was surprised when my laptop abruptly powered off, but then I realized it was extremely hot. After a few more occurrences, I realized keeping it on the blankets/pillows was a bad idea.

Comment

Lenovo started caring about Linux? The hell's apparently freezing over.

Comment

Working...
                      X