Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo To Address Linux Laptop Thermal Throttling, Lower Performance Against Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo To Address Linux Laptop Thermal Throttling, Lower Performance Against Windows

Phoronix: Lenovo To Address Linux Laptop Thermal Throttling, Lower Performance Against Windows

For owners of recent Lenovo laptops that find frequent thermal throttling and ultimately lower performance compared to Windows, the company has formally acknowledged the issue and is working towards addressing the issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dislike stupid people technology.

Q: How hard of a concept is "hot, don't touch"?

A: Apparently, very hard. We have this.

Comment

Is someone seeing this on other manufacturer's laptops with a year old Intel CPU? Since this is happening by the lack of a Intel software for Windows, maybe is affecting other machines too.

Comment

There is a solution to this problem already, called throttled, available here: https://github.com/erpalma/throttled which is able to set the cTDP, allow undervolting, etc.

Comment

I think my laptop works the other way. It assumes on disk. It doesn't even run the fan at full speed when everything inside read 99C.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Is someone seeing this on other manufacturer's laptops with a year old Intel CPU? Since this is happening by the lack of a Intel software for Windows, maybe is affecting other machines too.
            Any laptop that has a Skylake or newer U series CPU is definitely affected (eg. Dell XPS 13), Lenovo is just the most popular brand that gets criticised for this.

Comment

The ultimate fix will be for both users and major OEMs, like Lenovo and Dell, to pressure Intel to actually upstream and maintain DPTF on Linux.

Comment

What happened to thermal throttling being.. thermal? Who cares when the damn thing is put - if its hot we want it throttled. Talk over-engineering much...

Comment

As a user of Lenovo P52 I would really appreciate this. It took me like half a year to make this crap work. I ended up with thermald service disabled in the system. That means the compilation runs at a constant 97 degrees Celsius which is hot. But this CPU is reaching 97 degrees in like 3 seconds while fans are starting and getting to max revs just in time when throttling kicks in and frequency drops to 800MHz on all cores and usually stays there until reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                    The ultimate fix will be for both users and major OEMs, like Lenovo and Dell, to pressure Intel to actually upstream and maintain DPTF on Linux.
                    The ultimate fix will be for users and major OEMs to accept that extremely thin products have drawbacks and providing inadequate thermals is one of them .

Instead of pairing cases and processors properly and, therefore, providing safe equipment to use, they first assumed that we'd pick it up and move it when it became hot; but we iz dumb and got laptop burns so now we're going the XKCD standards route .

EDIT: And with your user name, you can own this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X