Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    Regarding open-sourcing...

That, and also the fact that the quasi entirety of the core system *IS* opensource, and most of the GUI is written in QML.

Thus even if Sailfish doesn't qualify as OSS in the strict rms' definition of Free Software (not every line of source code is covered by GPL or some permissive license), in practice you *can* hack it around because the code happens to be in human readable form (see ecosystem of patches), and you can freely obtain a copy of it (See large collection of community ports).

It's not even available-source. How can I fix the email app for example?? I've had a bunch of heavy bugs in the main Jolla provided apps and the most one can do is look at their UI QML code in SOME cases. How can I fix they MCE/audio routing bug hmm? This is not open source. This is not even "visible source", please don't spout nonsense.
    Last edited by Almindor; 02 August 2019, 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong quote used

Comment

slightly OT but still important since there is an pro con discussion here.

maybee this question is naive...but what does it make so difficult to develop a stable multidevice opensource os for a mobilephone?

in the classic computerworld we have linux running on x86, ppc, sparc,ia64,mips on arm ...this list is by far not complete at all.

there are linux based systems on notebooks with fancy kde or on hpcs just with some terminal...

so where is the issue ?

Comment

Working...
      X