Sailfish OS 3.1 Released As Jolla's Biggest Update In A Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    No most probably not. They use libhybris which is essentially a wrapper on top of Android kernel/drivers...
    The whole point with hybris, is that you get a glibc compatible platform on Android with EGL support. They wouldn't need that on the Librem5.

Comment

I wonder how come Linux is still around, you know being the "third OS" to Windows and Mac OS
      Actually Linux Desktop has the same problem -. Its usage has been < 2% forever. One could at least make a case for the Linux desktop as it is a an excellent environment for developers. But there is not a single compelling use case for a third mobile OS. By the way none of these arguments apply to the Linux kernel which is a huge success.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
        But there is not a single compelling use case for a third mobile OS.
        Other than being in a walled garden or using an OS that is literaly spyware NO there is no single use case for another mobile OS.

Comment

This comment sent from 3.1 on a 6gb/64gb xa2 plus.

seems smoother, loving the fingerprint reader.

Comment

There is no room for a third OS. No device is available because there is no interest from users who are split between Android and IOS. I am surprised that they are still around
            There is enough room for everything.
            We just need to find a way to make it work.

Comment

These are toy projects built by technology enthusiasts. At best, they'll give those involved something to add to their resumes.
              To actually come up with something viable, you need a business case first. I mean, look how Apple did it: mediocre software and hardware (except for the touch screen) at first, but with a business case of "make them pay through the nose for everything and anything". And then look at how Microsoft did it: they built a nice OS, lean on the hardware and everything, including the novelty of tiles, hoping others will adopt it and write apps for it. What's a relatively small group of enthusiasts supposed to bring to the table?

Comment

I wonder how come Linux is still around, you know being the "third OS" to Windows and Mac OS
                Because it's the only polished open source OS, and it's a good server operating system.

Comment

Sailfish may not be all it set out to be, but every time i use Android i am amazed at how utterly garbage the UI is. I also can't fatjom how people accept getting crapware preinstalled on their phones.

People complaining about performance and android support on the original Jolla phone fail to compare what has happened with similar Android phones. They are all eWaste by now. Sailfish isn't a magic solution to that hardware gets outdated, but as good of a mitigation as can be expected as where possible, nothing has been orphaned for going on 6 years.

Comment

Actually Linux Desktop has the same problem -. Its usage has been < 2% forever. One could at least make a case for the Linux desktop as it is a an excellent environment for developers. But there is not a single compelling use case for a third mobile OS. By the way none of these arguments apply to the Linux kernel which is a huge success.
                    Because not all of us are happy about buying an "open source" Android phone and being locked down to the point where Android being open source is moot. I just love it when LG only releases two or three updates to my phone and then wants me to upgrade to a new device to continue to receive Android updates. Because we hate it when Google removes paid-for programs from our accounts because they're in a dispute with a developer...also why Stadia will suck; Google is already shady as hell in regards to letting us redownload the stuff we paid for.

Because not all of us like how iOS looks, feels, and acts nor do we want to have to use yet another platform with yet another account to buy more and more and more apps. Because we don't like how Apple has a new phone released like clockwork knowing that our phone will be obsolete really soon because we simply can't trust Apple not to put shade in their software to encourage us to upgrade to the new phone. Smugness of day-one Apple adopters is also a reason I won't use one -- enough haters in the world as-is, I ain't gonna buy into a hater ecosystem.

This isn't necessarily a mobile OS issue, but I do not like how Google allows paid-for apps to transition from paid-for to subscription based. I got a new phone earlier this year and didn't have all my normal apps installed yet (get it when I need it situation), visited a friends house a few weeks ago, he got a new guitar to learn to play, so I downloaded a tuning app I paid for two years ago and it went from a one time pay to monthly subscription based -- Da Tuner if y'all are curious.

I don't know if Apple does stuff like that, but between allowing a paid-for to become subscription-based and losing access to all of my paid-for Beamdog games on Play this year is really, really making we want to support any decent alternative to the Goggle or Apple mobile duopoly.

At least Steam lets me redownload my stuff when they're in a dispute...

Comment

I think that Jolla should support at least one phone for every price points(3 should be fine)
                      If they don't want to make phones anymore they should sell software images for and still make it as open source
                      just like redhat, suse.

Comment

Working...
                      X