X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no app sandboxing support?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

They should be able to put in on the Librem5.
      No most probably not. They use libhybris which is essentially a wrapper on top of Android kernel/drivers. Since librem isn't Android I suspect it won't be so easy. Also you don't really want to. Their UI/UX might be "nice" but the rest sucks. I've been using this since Jolla 1 and they're getting worse and worse, being extremely behind on basics such as up to date browser. They never finalized the market/store and most devs fled the ship. I myself am in maintenance mode waiting for Librem or another good alternative to Android/iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
        No most probably not. They use libhybris which is essentially a wrapper on top of Android kernel/drivers. Since librem isn't Android I suspect it won't be so easy. Also you don't really want to.
        Sailfish has to use libhybris on Android devices, simply because those devices were never meant to work with the mainline kernel. If a device comes along that does boot a mainline kernel and has working drivers on it, there is no reason why Sailfish wouldn't work on it.

Their UI/UX might be "nice" but the rest sucks. I've been using this since Jolla 1 and they're getting worse and worse, being extremely behind on basics such as up to date browser.
        Agreed that the browser is not perfect, but other “basics” are pretty good, and are getting better in my opinion. What is it that you are missing?

Comment

You can install it on a Fairphone 2 if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            Agreed that the browser is not perfect, but other “basics” are pretty good, and are getting better in my opinion. What is it that you are missing?
            As a user: android support not being stuck at 4.4, bugs in pretty much every app, native apps actually working properly and not being orphaned which brings me to the..

As a dev: proper store support for paid apps, fixing their own bugs like say the inability to use VOIP in a native app due to broken audio routing ("might get fixed in the next release, but probably not coz we busy with corporate features").

Generally Jolla has sailed their own ship to a tornado at least 3 times in a row now. First by screwing with the tablet/production, then by lying about going OSS and refusing to open up so people can fix their bugs in pretty much every app and lastly by concentrating on corporate/carrier things instead of the basics in order to appease "would be" investors from the east (it ain't gonna work).

I'm pretty sure most app devs will jump ship as soon as there's any half-assed alternative. Most have already abandoned developing their apps long ago.

Comment

As a user: android support not being stuck at 4.4, bugs in pretty much every app, native apps actually working properly and not being orphaned which brings me to the..

As a dev: proper store support for paid apps, fixing their own bugs like say the inability to use VOIP in a native app due to broken audio routing ("might get fixed in the next release, but probably not coz we busy with corporate features").

Generally Jolla has sailed their own ship to a tornado at least 3 times in a row now. First by screwing with the tablet/production, then by lying about going OSS and refusing to open up so people can fix their bugs in pretty much every app and lastly by concentrating on corporate/carrier things instead of the basics in order to appease "would be" investors from the east (it ain't gonna work).

I'm pretty sure most app devs will jump ship as soon as there's any half-assed alternative. Most have already abandoned developing their apps long ago.
              As a Jolla 1 user, I absolutely agree with this.

Comment

Boooo

Comment

No most probably not. They use libhybris which is essentially a wrapper on top of Android kernel/drivers. Since librem isn't Android I suspect it won't be so easy. Also you don't really want to. Their UI/UX might be "nice" but the rest sucks. I've been using this since Jolla 1 and they're getting worse and worse, being extremely behind on basics such as up to date browser. They never finalized the market/store and most devs fled the ship. I myself am in maintenance mode waiting for Librem or another good alternative to Android/iPhone.
                  Some long years ago I had high hopes for Sailfish but it is an obvious crap show now. My primary interest was in a Linux based tablet that didn't suck and we all know how that went. Sadly today the only good tablet on the market are Apples iPads, and sadly they are too locked down for what I wanted them for. By the way I have no interest what so ever in a Android based devices so please don't offer that junk as a solution.

As for librem, well they haven't delivered anything yet and appear to be focused on the cell phone industry.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                    Too bad it's hard to find devices that support this OS...
                    There is no room for a third OS. No device is available because there is no interest from users who are split between Android and IOS. I am surprised that they are still around

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post

There is no room for a third OS. No device is available because there is no interest from users who are split between Android and IOS. I am surprised that they are still around
                      I wonder how come Linux is still around, you know being the "third OS" to Windows and Mac OS

Comment

Working...
                      X