No announcement yet.

Purism Announces The "Librem Key"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is this just a thumb drive with some keys on it, or is there Windows / Linux software that can actually leverage this thing? It would be cool for the OS to validate the key in addition to, or in replacement of, a login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
      So is this just a thumb drive with some keys on it, or is there Windows / Linux software that can actually leverage this thing? It would be cool for the OS to validate the key in addition to, or in replacement of, a login screen.
      Did you actually read the article?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Nitrokey? Are they those guys?

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/NitroKey
        Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        It seems to be the same company as the links point to nitrokeys webpage.

And their nitrokey looks the same.
        No. I think they only use the domain after it got released/sold from its previous owners sometime in 2011. Here is a domain parking notice from 2013:

If you check archive.org for the 2009 NitroKey, these two projects look nothing alike.
        https://web.archive.org/web/20110128...w.nitrokey.com
        Also the hardware looks nothing alike
        https://www.iphoneitalia.com/21190/j...on-la-nitrokey
        Last edited by chithanh; 21 September 2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          But I already have something I carry always on me, it my smartphone. I would rather use that, seems much easier.
          The problem is that this smartphone, by virtue of the other functionality it packs (it's a phone after all), is always network-connected and thus has a much bigger attack surface.

Comment

It doesn't have NFC which reduces the usefulness of it. Especially when you have a mobile phone.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

The problem is that this smartphone, by virtue of the other functionality it packs (it's a phone after all), is always network-connected and thus has a much bigger attack surface.
              its largest attack surface is you losing it

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                It doesn't have NFC which reduces the usefulness of it. Especially when you have a mobile phone.
                There is no real support to do that over NFC on Android anyway, so even if it did support NFC or bluetooth you would still need a "bridge" app for the very least, and if it's dealing with secure Android APIs (which is what it does), then you probably need to give such app root access (or integrate it in the OEM firmware if you are the OEM).

Comment

Working...
                X