Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HITMAN Game of the Year Edition Released For Linux

Phoronix: HITMAN Game of the Year Edition Released For Linux

Feral Interactive has been off to a busy November with last week releasing F1 2017 for Linux and today delivering same-day support for HITMAN Game of the Year Edition on both macOS and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Games I already own on steam and if I play them on linux is feral being paid then?
    how is feral being paid?

I'd like to support them as much as possible.
    Must be purchased through Feral shop?

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
      Games I already own on steam and if I play them on linux is feral being paid then?
      how is feral being paid?

If you already got the game since more than 2 weeks ago then the payment has been allocated to whoever Valve wanted already (if you played more on Linux during these two weeks then Feral got the money, AFAIK). If you buy from the Feral store then it’s the best scenario for them.

Comment

The minimum GPU recommended for Nvidia and AMD doesn't quite match up.
        GTX 680 is a higher tier part than the 270x.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
          how is feral being paid?

through shop gives them most money
          if you buy on steam, buy only after linux port, buy from linux client and play on linux, then porters will get your money

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            through shop gives them most money
            if you buy on steam, buy only after linux port, buy from linux client and play on linux, then porters will get your money
            I'd just like to add that I believe buying from the Steam store is best even if it means that Feral gets less money (but still gets some money), since I also feel that Valve deserves a fraction of the money too for helping Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by s8as8a View Post
              I'd just like to add that I believe buying from the Steam store is best even if it means that Feral gets less money (but still gets some money), since I also feel that Valve deserves a fraction of the money too for helping Linux gaming.
              When you buy a Steam key, no matter where, I'm sure Valve takes its cut.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

When you buy a Steam key, no matter where, I'm sure Valve takes its cut.
                Nope, it doesnt work like that. Any major developer can request as many keys as they need for free and sell them while Valve get nothing. Only rule Valve apply is that developers shouldnt sell these keys cheaper than on Steam.

They only recently started to enforce limitations on how many keys they give and when, but that mainly for small devs and publishers who had stream of 1$ crap and abused ratings, trading cards, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post

Nope, it doesnt work like that. Any major developer can request as many keys as they need for free and sell them while Valve get nothing. Only rule Valve apply is that developers shouldnt sell these keys cheaper than on Steam.

They only recently started to enforce limitations on how many keys they give and when, but that mainly for small devs and publishers who had stream of 1$ crap and abused ratings, trading cards, etc.
                  I don't get it.
                  Why would Valve allow usage of its service (Steam), its storage, bandwidth etc... for nothing in return?
                  At the beginning to increase its userbase sure, but now?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Why would Valve allow usage of its service (Steam), its storage, bandwidth etc... for nothing in return? At the beginning to increase its userbase sure, but now?
                    Because it's make sense for them. Without it every major developer would start to sell games on own platform and popularity of Steam is depend on these publishers / developers. Dont overestimate difficulty of setting own Steam alternative: almost any middle-range studio have capable programmers for the task and today payments processing and server side tech is much easier to setup than it wad 10 years ago.

Some people who work lets say for Epic Games say its much easier to sell their games for higher price simply because customers dont see $10-20 products all around. Basically any studio with established customer base could do the same.

Another reason is that even many smaller developers dont think that service Steam provides worth 30% that Valve charges. In past just 2-3 years ago its was enough to get game on steam to get somewhat guaranteed success story, but today there are hundreds games released daily and most simply dont get any attention at all. So smaller developers have to do their own marketing and thus they have no reason to stick to steam since they can for instance use Humble Widget that only charge 5%.

Also tools.and analytics that Valve provides are subpar compared to AppStore / Google Play so its even impossible to properly track marketing efficiency, Steam CDN not sufficient to delivery updates for multiplayer / MMO titles fast enough and this is why so many games use their own launchers on top of Steam. At least half year ago that was the case when I talked with some of my buddys from commercial gamedev.

Comment

Working...
                    X