Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    now it is like 50% Opensource linux wins to 50% closed source windows wins.

I think in 2-3 Months the closed source windows driver is obsolete.
    Yeah right, because benchmarking Linux games is soooo relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
      If all these games were native...
      Two words: Star Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Basically game ports suck.
        Yeah, it just goes to show how bad monopolies are. Because if it wasn't for Windows' dominance, games would have been written using OpenGL. id were pretty serious about OpenGL and now they're at the forefront of Vulkan, too. But past their technical prowess, they haven't had a good game since Quake3.

Comment

This is some fantastic progress. Though something interesting I noticed is the Linux drivers seem to perform worse as more stress is put on them. Whether that's detail level or screen resolution, it seems something is holding back potential. If all these tests were done with low or medium settings at 1080p, it seems Linux would be right on par with Windows.

Any ideas for this anomaly?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            This is some fantastic progress. Though something interesting I noticed is the Linux drivers seem to perform worse as more stress is put on them. Whether that's detail level or screen resolution, it seems something is holding back potential. If all these tests were done with low or medium settings at 1080p, it seems Linux would be right on par with Windows.

Any ideas for this anomaly?
            AMD's drivers always had more CPU overhead than those of, ahem, competition. Even on Windows. That could explain it.

Comment

Are these tests always OpenGL vs OpenGL or also DirectX vs OpenGL? I remember bridgman mentioning that the open source OpenGL implementation is now better than the proprietary one.

However, nobody would reasonably use OpenGL in games on Windows when DirectX rendering is available.
              Last edited by Solid State Brain; 07 July 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                AMD's drivers always had more CPU overhead than those of, ahem, competition. Even on Windows. That could explain it.
                Actually no... the impact of CPU overhead goes down with increasing resolution, not up. You used to see this in Windows DX11 benchmarks where Fiji was (relative to competing products) faster at higher resolutions.

This looks more like either a gap in shader compiler efficiency or something we aren't doing w.r.t. efficient memory access.
                Test signature

Comment

very well, ubuntu 17.10 could be faster for amd gaming than windows

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Actually no... the impact of CPU overhead goes down with increasing resolution, not up. You used to see this in Windows DX11 benchmarks where Fiji was (relative to competing products) faster at higher resolutions.

This looks more like either a gap in shader compiler efficiency or something we aren't doing w.r.t. efficient memory access.
                    I was thinking more along the lines of more screen real estate, more geometry to compute. But ok.
                    Could this also be a symptom of synchronization issues? Cause when parallelism goes up, so does the effort of keeping everything in sync.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I was thinking more along the lines of more screen real estate, more geometry to compute. But ok.
                      Could this also be a symptom of synchronization issues? Cause when parallelism goes up, so does the effort of keeping everything in sync.
                      AFAIK most games keep the same geometry independent of resolution (although I guess aspect ratio might affect it a bit)... same geometry, same tesselation, just bigger triangles. That said, I believe there are a few exceptions already.

The one that surprised me was a Windows game which changed the amount of detail depending on the number of processor cores...

... which made Ryzen seem artificially slow against Intel 4-core parts
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X