Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
    Would be more interesting to see data on "well made" games that aren't just wrappers on Linux. Unfortunately, that number of games is extremely low. I think Dota 2 is the only one I know of, where the rendering backends are completely native on all platforms.
    Yeah I think Michael usually benchmarks Dota 2 because of that, would be very interesting to see how it performs. I'm tempted to switch from W10 to Ubuntu 17.04 on my main PC and since that's the game I mostly play along CSGO -which engine is about to change this summer god bless Source 2- there wouldn't be much holding me back.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, it just goes to show how bad monopolies are. Because if it wasn't for Windows' dominance, games would have been written using OpenGL. id were pretty serious about OpenGL and now they're at the forefront of Vulkan, too. But past their technical prowess, they haven't had a good game since Quake3.
      Does Prey (2017) run on anything other than DX11+? When Doom 3 came out, Prey used same engine (OpenGL) and it works quite well under wine, but it seems to me that they did it diferently with Doom "4" and Prey "2". Not a big deal since I doubt new Prey game comes even close to the first one (really, one of the best games I played, togheter with Clive Barker's Undying), saw few gameplay videos I wasn't that impressed, the good thing about old game were inovative gamplay mechanics, I don't see that in new game.

Comment

The performance penalty for Warhammer is very much acceptable for a "Port". Shadow of Mordor & Grid are both older ports and I guess Feral have polished up their IndirectX layer much better now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The one that surprised me was a Windows game which changed the amount of detail depending on the number of processor cores...

... which made Ryzen seem artificially slow against Intel 4-core parts
          I wonder what game that could be.
          Was only one game or is it more games?

Comment

Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post
            Are these tests always OpenGL vs OpenGL or also DirectX vs OpenGL? I remember bridgman mentioning that the open source OpenGL implementation is now better than the proprietary one.

However, nobody would reasonably use OpenGL in games on Windows when DirectX rendering is available.
            Doom 4, Wolfenstein: The New Order?

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
              Doom 4, Wolfenstein: The New Order?
              What I'm saying is that on Windows, when a game/benchmark offers a choice between OpenGL and DirectX, the DirectX renderer is usually faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I wonder what game that could be. Was only one game or is it more games?
                I went back and tried to find it but no luck yet. Pretty sure it was only one game.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I went back and tried to find it but no luck yet. Pretty sure it was only one game.
                  Sorry, only in German.
                  Ashes reduces the quality when less than 6 cores are present.

Comment

Ahh, thanks. AOTS was my first thought but I wasn't able to find the evidence...
                    Test signature

Comment

Same pointless inclusion of Windows game ports I see. When you're trying to compare drivers, you compare apples to apples as best you can, not native Direct3D vs. Direct3D OpenGL ports. Use the games like Talos Principle or Serious Sam that have benchmark modes and are native on both platforms. Or was this all intentional to be clickbaity?

Comment

Working...
                      X