Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company of Heroes 2 Is The Latest Linux Game Showcasing AMD's Performance Wreck With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Michael keeps harping about the poor shape of Catalyst because he cares and wants to see change occur. Competition is good and AMD is more open-source friendly than Nvidia and should be first class on Linux.

What AMD needs to do is look at some of these new AAA games on a per game basis and see how they can optimize their drivers for each game. They do this on Windows and they have done this on Linux with Source games (hl2_linux).

Comment

One can hope that Vulkan will benefit AMD as drastically as DX12 seem to do, according to recent benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        The question I have is one of whether the GAME is following the OpenGL spec properly or not- NVidia's known to up-front smooth over many of the obvious, known sins on that regard for a slight perf hit. AMD codes SPECIFICALLY to the spec and many titles may have sins (It should be noted that AMD's driver had to have workaround code put into it for a BAD practice a dev had in a MAJOR LucasArts title of the past... It would take the then most powerful, fastest GPU (Radeon 2900XT) and go from 100+ fps to 10 seconds per frame- and it wasn't the driver's fault...)
        Yeah I was curious about that too.
        Is it the game made purely for nvidia or is it purely amd's fault?

Comment

It seems like AMD has absolutely no confidence that Steam Machines are going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            I would say it is purely amd's fault or else Intel would have problems too.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              System Requirements said Iris Pro or Nvidia 600... not a word about AMD, so it seems that Mac porters usually pretending that AMD does not exists

So far from Feral all somewhat not optimized and all low performing ports and with no scalable setiings, according to comments on steam GTX 680/970 around 20-30 fps on lowest setting

Nope this isn't Catalyst fault, but porter who not care as much
              Last edited by dungeon; 27 August 2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                Something you didn't mention, that the game even tells you: The benchmark is not a normal benchmark, it's a stress test of the worst possible scenario.
                Edit: Okay it's in there, did you edit it Michael? As I'm sure it didn't say it when I first read it. Either way, I would put that fact in bold if I were you.
                It was there since the beginning. But the fact remains that the performance sucks in comparison to a GTX 950 vs. R9 290, etc. Even if the performance in-game were to double compared to the stress test, it still would be unplayable.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  I would say it is purely amd's fault or else Intel would have problems too.
                  It's possible that Feral did not have time to try the open source drivers. There is still a pervasive "if you're gaming you have to use Catalyst" mindset despite all the progress the open source drivers have made, and that won't change overnight.

That said, if you're going to develop on one platform and hope your code mostly "just works" on other platforms it helps to do most of your initial development on a "tight" GL implementation like Mesa or Catalyst rather than a "loose" implementation like NVidia binary drivers.

Feral is adding more AMD platforms to their development effort (thank you !!) so I imagine the situation should improve over time.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...al-Interactive
                  Last edited by bridgman; 27 August 2015, 09:14 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Something seems wrong with the settings it seems... developers said:

I would make sure you reboot after changing your settings to allow the engine to reset correctly.
                    http://steamcommunity.com/app/231430...73452876295085

What 'reboot' means in Mac world? Seriously, what is 'reboot' there?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 August 2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Something seems wrong with the settings it seems... developers said:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/231430...73452876295085

What 'reboot' means in Mac world? Seriously, what is 'reboot' there?
                      They say somethung simular in the comments at gamingonlinux.
                      Please make sure you reboot between changing settings as the engine will not fully reset until you do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X