Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company of Heroes 2 Is The Latest Linux Game Showcasing AMD's Performance Wreck With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post

I would say it is purely amd's fault or else Intel would have problems too.
    Hmmm, that's fair, but then what about r600g/radeonsi ?

Comment

That's exactly what I'd be curious about. Could anyone who owns the game benchmark it with open source AMD drivers?
      Last edited by soulsource; 28 August 2015, 01:33 AM. Reason: Added "AMD" to clarify.

Comment

I think AMD needs to rethink their driver optimization strategy. Maybe they could reuse the Nvidia override and use a binary specific blacklist/workaround to do something different. It seems a bit late to introduce a new override and it is more or less impossible to optimize for each new Linux port. Some are similar - thats clear - a user database with CAP settings might be possible too. Basically AMD cards are only problematic with OpenGL - this is not Linux specific, the driver is sharing the code with the Windows one. If AMD wants to catch up they need new ideas - game/app specific tuning only can work with a handful games used for benchmarks - it would not be enough for the rest - they could use those of couse to provide some optimization hints for OpenGL devs to improve performance directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
          Do we really need an article every other day reporting on how bad AMD GPU performance is on Linux? It is no longer news and hasn't been for quite a few years. I don't see what the purpose having articles like this so often serve. Everyone knows that if you want to game exclusively on Linux you need a NVIDIA GPU.
          The answer is yes. I was thinking to buy GPU recently. I could buy AMD, since they are somewhat open source. And that would very bad decision. Now I am happy owner of gtx780ti

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            this is not Linux specific, the driver is sharing the code with the Windows one.
            The Wii Emulator Developer has written a Blog About the OpenGL Drivers and the Issues. The AMD OGL Implementation shares a lot of code but on both platforms they different.

In light of the recent announcements by NVIDIA and AMD in support of Linux for their graphics drivers, we would like to share with the world some of the experience we had developing our open source project, Dolphin, a GameCube and Wii emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac and recently Android....

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
              Catalyst is fucked up, its not a news, but writing an article every fucking day about it, thats a bit too much, really. I know NV sponsors Michael with cards, but Michael, arent you supposed to support opensource, which is AMD, not nv
              He support his readers first. Which is good for his business and his users

Comment

please Michael, stfu.

Comment

any test by mesa drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

He support his readers first. Which is good for his business and his users
                    I'm sorry but how exactly can you have been around this long and think that?

He supports his biases first, his wallet second. His readership is and has always been near the bottom of the list of things he cares about, if he cared about his readership Phoronix would be much more like The H Online used to be, instead of being a very tabloidish blog. The forum also wouldn't continue to be broken for as long as it has.

Michael isn't a monster, or a shill by any means, but it's important to understand exactly the kind of person you're dealing with when reading this site. His goal at the end of the day is to get as many ad views from as many people as possible, if that means clickbait he'll use clickbait, if that means stirring controversy that's what he's going to do. He is very good at this, but he's gone a rather bit overboard with his choice of words while beating a dead horse, which is getting him backlash.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      (As an aside, you really, really should map VBO's to host memory inter-frame, not intra-frame, as the OpenGL spec specifically tells you that this may stall the pipeline as the driver/state machine/etc. waits to ensure that the VBO is guaranteed to NOT be in-flight on a rendering pass. Any time you see something like that, you should really treat it as a "shall" instead of blithely doing something stupid...)
                      glMap does stall the pipeline

Comment

Working...
                      X