No announcement yet.

Terraria 1.3.0.8 Released With OS X & Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the most pertinent question is WHY these Pixel Games need so much resources. Looking at the Game, it could've easily been designed to run on 1 or 2 GB of Ram -- or less. I think it's imperative that Devs focus of optimizations and Game Engines that adjust to the users hardware. If Super Mario Brothers were developed today, using the same style and art, I bet it would use 2GB of ram minimum. That's just ridiculous, that's just poor coding.

I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      I think the most pertinent question is WHY these Pixel Games need so much resources. Looking at the Game, it could've easily been designed to run on 1 or 2 GB of Ram -- or less. I think it's imperative that Devs focus of optimizations and Game Engines that adjust to the users hardware. If Super Mario Brothers were developed today, using the same style and art, I bet it would use 2GB of ram minimum. That's just ridiculous, that's just poor coding.

I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings but it is what it is.
      Its written in C#, couldn't expect less. I'm more interested how it runs on android and weaker consoles, being such memory hog.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
        Its written in C#, couldn't expect less. I'm more interested how it runs on android and weaker consoles, being such memory hog.
        They probably do whatever the Windows version is doing. I have the android, Windows, and Linux version. Of those three, only the Linux version uses a lot of memory. Then again, I'm not running it on the supported distro. Maybe some library is casting a variable as a different type? That seems kind of crazy, but.....

Comment

The lack of the copy/paste option is present on Team Fortress 2 too, while on Windows it works as it should. I wonder what is that technical limitation.
          Other than that, the game works great, is still a shame that the game doesn't automatically share the save files from windows.
          Last edited by edoantonioco; 15 August 2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The Windows version uses a lot of memory also. It's because the game loads the whole map into memory, so this is directly connected. On a small world the game takes only about 1GB of ram, very similar to the windows version. The map is most probably a 2 dimensional array (2 of them, because there are 2 layers), keeping the info of what blocks are where. The sizes of the maps are shown here, each cell is probably an integer (cause there are a lot of block types), multiply and then you'll know why so much memory is needed.

Note for new players: the small world is very well big enough to play single player, the larger ones make sense only for multiplayer games. It takes a few minutes to travel a small world from edge to edge, and much longer on bigger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
              The Windows version uses a lot of memory also. It's because the game loads the whole map into memory, so this is directly connected. On a small world the game takes only about 1GB of ram, very similar to the windows version. The map is most probably a 2 dimensional array (2 of them, because there are 2 layers), keeping the info of what blocks are where. The sizes of the maps are shown here, each cell is probably an integer (cause there are a lot of block types), multiply and then you'll know why so much memory is needed.

Note for new players: the small world is very well big enough to play single player, the larger ones make sense only for multiplayer games. It takes a few minutes to travel a small world from edge to edge, and much longer on bigger ones.
              I just checked on a Win7/64 box and Terraria 1.3.0.8 loading a large world uses just over 1GB. So, something else is going on in the Linux version. If the Linux version was at parity with the Windows version, then I could play it very comfortably, but I can't--unless I want a lot of stuff to start hitting swap.

Comment

Working...
              X