X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    The Windows version uses a lot of memory also. It's because the game loads the whole map into memory, so this is directly connected. On a small world the game takes only about 1GB of ram, very similar to the windows version. The map is most probably a 2 dimensional array (2 of them, because there are 2 layers), keeping the info of what blocks are where. The sizes of the maps are shown here, each cell is probably an integer (cause there are a lot of block types), multiply and then you'll know why so much memory is needed.

Note for new players: the small world is very well big enough to play single player, the larger ones make sense only for multiplayer games. It takes a few minutes to travel a small world from edge to edge, and much longer on bigger ones.
    I just checked on a Win7/64 box and Terraria 1.3.0.8 loading a large world uses just over 1GB. So, something else is going on in the Linux version. If the Linux version was at parity with the Windows version, then I could play it very comfortably, but I can't--unless I want a lot of stuff to start hitting swap.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    The Windows version uses a lot of memory also. It's because the game loads the whole map into memory, so this is directly connected. On a small world the game takes only about 1GB of ram, very similar to the windows version. The map is most probably a 2 dimensional array (2 of them, because there are 2 layers), keeping the info of what blocks are where. The sizes of the maps are shown here, each cell is probably an integer (cause there are a lot of block types), multiply and then you'll know why so much memory is needed.

Note for new players: the small world is very well big enough to play single player, the larger ones make sense only for multiplayer games. It takes a few minutes to travel a small world from edge to edge, and much longer on bigger ones.

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    The lack of the copy/paste option is present on Team Fortress 2 too, while on Windows it works as it should. I wonder what is that technical limitation.
    Other than that, the game works great, is still a shame that the game doesn't automatically share the save files from windows.
    Last edited by edoantonioco; 15 August 2015, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    Its written in C#, couldn't expect less. I'm more interested how it runs on android and weaker consoles, being such memory hog.
    They probably do whatever the Windows version is doing. I have the android, Windows, and Linux version. Of those three, only the Linux version uses a lot of memory. Then again, I'm not running it on the supported distro. Maybe some library is casting a variable as a different type? That seems kind of crazy, but.....

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    I think the most pertinent question is WHY these Pixel Games need so much resources. Looking at the Game, it could've easily been designed to run on 1 or 2 GB of Ram -- or less. I think it's imperative that Devs focus of optimizations and Game Engines that adjust to the users hardware. If Super Mario Brothers were developed today, using the same style and art, I bet it would use 2GB of ram minimum. That's just ridiculous, that's just poor coding.

I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings but it is what it is.
    Its written in C#, couldn't expect less. I'm more interested how it runs on android and weaker consoles, being such memory hog.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Frett
    replied
    I think the most pertinent question is WHY these Pixel Games need so much resources. Looking at the Game, it could've easily been designed to run on 1 or 2 GB of Ram -- or less. I think it's imperative that Devs focus of optimizations and Game Engines that adjust to the users hardware. If Super Mario Brothers were developed today, using the same style and art, I bet it would use 2GB of ram minimum. That's just ridiculous, that's just poor coding.

I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings but it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Terraria is by far a diamond of a game. I think the game has already accumulated something like 6 years of content - also it's DRM free on GOG which isn't mentioned in the article.

By far one of the best PC games ever for the building cities & searching for items while upgrading your equipment. So far I think I've gifted something like 6 copies to friends/family that's how good this game is.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Haven't had a chance to play, will give it a go tomorrow.
    Under Windows, the memory usage is much more reasonable. I wonder what's the reason for the linux version being so fat. I thought 8GB was enough for a laptop. I guess I need to bump up the specs for the next one. Also, the Sandy Bridge era Pentium B940 (2.0GHz, 2MB L3, dual core, no HT) processor isn't quite up to the task. I would agree that you need more CPU than that. Not sure about the GPU needs. I haven't done a comparison with different GPUs vs CPUs. I have a couple of other boxes I can try it on to see how they fare. Hmm, no, most of them are only 4GB. That's gonna be cutting it close.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    I'm not sure how well it'll run on a 4GB machine. Maybe if you're not running anything else on the machine. I have 8GB in my machine that I played it on and it swapped out a bunch of stuff to run. The game uses over 3.5GB quite easily.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm running under Fedora 20.

Love the game though, that's why I've bought several versions.
    Haven't had a chance to play, will give it a go tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by theghost View Post

Wtf, it's under 10$ and one of the most played steam games. We can be lucky that we see a Linux version why pirating it? Support the devs !
    There is still the link in your quote. I agree with you and I think the link should edited out. It's only 10 bucks, support the devs is right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X