No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Continued Falling In June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't so accurate, considering I run Steam in Fedora using unsupported RPMs, I've not gotten prompted for survey even yet.

Comment

Looking into the statistics, all three OSes have fallen in usage. Windows -0.02%, OSX -0.01% and GNU/Linux -0.01%.
      That's the problem with non-absolute numbers.

Comment

It just means people tire of Steam, that's all. Steam is not a representation (by a long shot) of all Linux users. They may have moved to Humble or GOG.

Comment

Sorry, don't have time to play 264 games, and I'm not going to spend $800+ dollars on games I won't finish, especially if they're shit games. So I have about half as many games as you, cry me a river. (actual number of steam games was 52--forgot to count windows-only games). That number is worthless anyway, because it doesn't tell me how much you actually spent on games, only their worth (sale and retail value).

Comment

More like tripple-B games, but whatever. If having a shit-ton of games that you don't play half of makes you feel sexy, good for you. Meanwhile, I'll play MGS, or KSP, or some other decent game, and actually enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              More like tripple-B games, but whatever. If having a shit-ton of games that you don't play half of makes you feel sexy, good for you. Meanwhile, I'll play MGS, or KSP, or some other decent game, and actually enjoy it.
              The fact that you consider MGS a video game rather than a very elaborate sequence of cutscenes shows that you clearly know nothing about video games at all.

Comment

I think we're talking about different games here--I'm talking about Metal Gear: Solid, nothing else. The second game was pretty good, too, but I liked the first better. After that, all bets are off.
                My favorite game is probably Dragon Quest (1), or Tetris, if that makes you feel better. Sonic The Hedgehog 1/2/3/and Knuckles were pretty good games too, though they're pretty short once you learn the game mechanics. Oh, shit, and Contra--how could I forget that classic?
                Last edited by Nobu; 02 July 2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

For those who claim they get the surevy on Windows only: This just means that you are part of the problem, you game on Windows more than on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    Looking into the statistics, all three OSes have fallen in usage. Windows -0.02%, OSX -0.01% and GNU/Linux -0.01%.
                    That's the problem with non-absolute numbers.
                    Either BSD picked up the slack or they have some math issues.

Comment

the word "stats" is a lie and is not even used in the survey page ..
                      they collect data and put some % behind it ..
                      ? margin of error ? how is the sample really created ? is it accurate ?

- The real "thing" is in the explanation of the page
                      "The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer. "
                      - Valve decisions made lately : make their game compatible with linux, develop steam OS ...

Conclusion : this company don't know how to make stats, business and money ... it is surely doomed from day one .. ..

More "seriously" the "usual suspects"

1. the number of active users on steam is growing every year .. so a lower percentage than on "linux client launch" could still be a growth(or not)..

2. Witcher III, latest batman GTA etc .. make period with more windows active users .. (and some of these users could be linux users that couldn't resist)

3. the ghost "survey" on linux
                      I have seen and filled in the "usage form" on linux once since day one

4. the click bait worked ..

5. Since the click bait worked.. I'm "officially" requesting a real article with a real interview of the Valve guy responsible for this survey .. and the counter opinion of a real statistician on the methodology.. That is the article I would like to read ... .. [optional] Knowing that the statistician will win the debate ... we should start a survey to know how the Valve guy should be punished for all this bad publicity on linux stats .. cause that is clearly the reason of all this discussion : the wrong publicity ..
                      Last edited by eoxx; 02 July 2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X