Steam Linux Usage Continued Falling In June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blau

Well, I saw portal 2 on sale for next to nothing and decided to give it a try; it was an experiment to see if it would run on my linux laptop at all; it was listed as steam play but not linux (no penguin icon) and under minimum system requirements only had entries for windows and mac. Anyways, I was surprised it ran. I'm running under LMDE custom kernel with the latest catalyst 15.5 driver.

I actually had no idea that steamplay games run under linux. Why would the publishers not list linux compatibility if they had it? I'd think it would be a selling point as you expand your customer base.

If anyone knows, do all steamplay games run in linux??
    How long ago are you talking about? Portal 2 has been available since Jan 2014 for Linux, but while it was in beta I think there was no logo. It's been final for a while now though.

Not all Steamplay games run on Linux, but no Linux games have the penguin icon anymore either. The Steam logo now indicates it runs on Linux or SteamOS - it looks like it's part of the Steamplay logo if you're not aware of that.

Comment

i tried setting up steam for some action on my htpc..... problems with dependencies and 64bit support - i cant imagine steam on linux being too popular until you can simply emerge steam or apt-get install steam

Comment

How accurate is the Steam Linux usage? Is it through surveys or general download use of the steam client, I never do the surveys mainly because in my view they are annoying pop-ups I wonder if there are some other Linux users in general who ignore the surveys....

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
          i tried setting up steam for some action on my htpc..... problems with dependencies and 64bit support - i cant imagine steam on linux being too popular until you can simply emerge steam or apt-get install steam
          that's how it is at least on arch...

enable multilib, pacman -S steam, and you're good to go

Comment

Working...
          X