BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    I am afraid that they are not being used in Bioshock. The game probably just peeks the main OGL version number, and doesn't care about the extensions it actually needs, and can perfectly run on current Mesa drivers. Sad.
    This actually seems like a fairly easy throery to test with a minor patch. Replace the missing functionality with no-ops and change the report 4.2 compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      OGL 4.2 is pretty reasonable, at least if the game actually takes advantage of it. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

I'm not sure I'll get this game though. Bioshock 1 was incomparably the most over-rated game I have ever played. It had nice graphics, voice acting, and level design. The overall concept and bioshock universe was cool. The story was just simply "good", but not great. Everything else was bad, and playing the game felt like a chore. I might consider getting Bioshock Infinite, since that does seem to have some significant improvements. I might have to check some reviews later.
      The first bioshock was buggy as hell though, even on windows. Silent crash to desktop. I hate when software crashes to the desktop with no error, no warning, and no indication. I never did get over that, so even still today bioshock is unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

BioShock Infinite is now available to Linux gamers... assuming you're okay with using the binary AMD and NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Linux-Release
        @Michael:

For those willing to benchmark this thing, add as launch options:

QuoteDefaultPCBenchmarkMap.xcmap -unattended

For more refined options: http://pastebin.com/SZsSZvTg
        You can find the results in:
        .local/share/irrationalgames/bioshockinfinite/GameDocuments/My Games/BioShock Infinite/Benchmarks

Comment

Well the graphics are there, but eON wrapper still seems to take it's toll. The performance is about 20% worse and even when you get your best settings chosen and run the game at the desired 144 FPS, the game still stutters in some scenes. The FPS seems to not drop but for some reason, camera starts moving very choppy.

But as I allready have it, I guess I will play it a bit to complete the Burial at Sea DLC packs.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            sorry to disappoint you but it's probably gonna all be on autopilots

looking at how some people drive, if their cars could fly i would never ever go out of the house
            Staying in the house won't help either. Every couple of months I see on the news a car that has driven off the road and into someones house ending up inside it. With flying cars they would now be dropping through your roof so even having your bedroom at the back of the house wouldn't save you anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              so, you enjoy Dying light or most Unity games? compared to those even Witcher 2 performs like a fucking rockstar
              No it doesn't. Simply doesn't. I can crash it at will, and game is in unplayable state for me. Impossible to play through on minimal settings on reasonable hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                I mean, hell, I was just compiling a list of games today in my Steam library that just outright don't start on radeonsi 10.5.1 - so far its Natural Selection 2, Torchlight 2, Dust, Planetary Annihilation and Rogue Legacy. And now I'm spending all day looking for where I should even report the crash logs because the game developers won't care, so I kind of have to throw them on the freedesktop bug tracker.
                You should definitely report those on bugs.freedesktop.org - they sound like a radeonsi driver problem. I played through the entirety of "Dust: An Elysian Tail" on Intel (Iris Pro 5200) with no problems. I've also played Torchlight 2 and tried Natural Selection 2 briefly; they seem to work fine. I don't yet have the other two.

In fact, out of the 219 Linux games in my Steam library, I only recall having problems starting "Shank 2" (a crash in their code), "Anodyne" (can't figure out adobe air), and now "Bioshock Infinite." The other 216 seem fine
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  You should definitely report those on bugs.freedesktop.org - they sound like a radeonsi driver problem. I played through the entirety of "Dust: An Elysian Tail" on Intel (Iris Pro 5200) with no problems. I've also played Torchlight 2 and tried Natural Selection 2 briefly; they seem to work fine. I don't yet have the other two.

In fact, out of the 219 Linux games in my Steam library, I only recall having problems starting "Shank 2" (a crash in their code), "Anodyne" (can't figure out adobe air), and now "Bioshock Infinite." The other 216 seem fine
                  On Arch, or similar distro? Arch seems to have more issues with Steam's runtime, due to it's rolling nature--particularly with libstdc++, etc.. It seems like zanny solved his problem by deleting one of those libs which had snuck back in, but I could be wrong. In that case, seems like a library conflict (radeon trying to use one version, and the game engine trying to use another), rather than a bug in radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                    It seems like zanny solved his problem by deleting one of those libs which had snuck back in, but I could be wrong. In that case, seems like a library conflict (radeon trying to use one version, and the game engine trying to use another), rather than a bug in radeon.
                    Yep, zanny got the games working by getting rid of a couple of libraries :

Test signature

Comment

Ah. I've never had to deal with that on Intel (even with Arch Linux) - everything just works out of the box. It's probably because we don't use LLVM, and radeonsi does.
                      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                      X