BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

BioShock Infinite is now available to Linux gamers... assuming you're okay with using the binary AMD and NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Linux-Release

• haagch
    replied
    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    unfortunately there's no sound at all with Metro Last Light - it doesn't know about pulseaudio ?
    It shouldn't need to know. Pulseaudio has an alsa plugin. On archlinux there is a package pulseaudio-alsa that only contains this config file:
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/asound.conf
    # Use PulseAudio by default
    pcm.!default {
      type pulse
      fallback "sysdefault"
      hint {
        show on
        description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
      }
    }

ctl.!default {
      type pulse
      fallback "sysdefault"
    }
    And metro last light worked fine for me with it with pulseaudio without any special setup...

But there can always be a bug...

Leave a comment:

• DanLamb
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers
    Is there any Steam-free option to buy and play this game on Linux? I'd love to play this game on my Linux system but I don't want Steam installed.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    @Kano:

not playing it via HDMI, maybe there's a difference in playing sound through speakers & headphones compared to HDMI ?

anyway: I had to raise buffers in the past for the intel HDA cards otherwise it would lead to sound stuttering and more glitches

using an external audio card was easier (it didn't cost that much 10-15 €) - pop it in, set that card in alsa and sound in the game worked reliably

Originally posted by haagch View Post
    Random suggestion:
    Try the game with the environment variable PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
    Helps with broken sound in wine (without pulse patches) on certain sound cards. Maybe it's worth a shot?
    unfortunately there's no sound at all with Metro Last Light - it doesn't know about pulseaudio ?

running steam (and thus Metro) works with e.g.:

Code:
    SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa AUDIODEV="front:CARD=Device,DEV=0"

To get on topic again:

BioShock Infinite still had no crashes

it only, on occassion, has some slowness in rendering - when things get really hectic and if I remember correctly that was also the case under Windows - when running it with too high quality settings

so there's obviously an overhead compared to windows but it's not too bad

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    Random suggestion:
    Try the game with the environment variable PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
    Helps with broken sound in wine (without pulse patches) on certain sound cards. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You can be sure i played MLL with hda via HDMI. Don't get why YOU need an extra soundcard.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    (re-quote over from forums.gentoo.org)

It's really impressive - how well that port works !

No sound stuttering issue or other glitches - at all, no crashes

and that's after going through 3 stages already

The graphics are simply gorgeous - oftentimes when looking around

I get the impression that visuals are even more beautiful than under Windows

weird

rant:

What baffles me is that e.g. Metro Last Light Redux

still suffers from that stupid sound underrun (?) bug where sound wouldn't work

and video playback is slowed down.

So that game (Metro: LL Redux) is STILL only playable with an additional/different soundcard - other than Intel HDA

I'll take a proper working eON port ANYTIME over a port which works great otherwise but has a crappy sound implementation

/rant end

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    To get on topic again:

It's impressive how fluid the game runs on "Very high" quality

won't try out Ultra since that also lead to significant frame drops on a regular basis on Windows

There's some weird hangs upon loading a new area - which seems to be specific to this port,

some texture flashing (e.g. the balloons of buildings - some constant - some only once) and very few just black textures/errors (e.g. on bushes, observed just once so far)

The occasional dip in frame rate also occurred on Windows if I can still recall correctly

so it's not at eON's fault and might be a thing of this game (afaik it happened both with nVidia and AMD/ATI cards) but not really that severe

Nevertheless it runs throughout smoothly and very fluid (GTX760 Phantom, 1920x1080, very high)

Awesome port !

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to a time when the word "texting" starts to appear in NTSB aviation accident reports.
    Brace yourself:

http://www.trueactivist.com/the-self...arket-in-2017/

Leave a comment:

• Eero
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    so, you enjoy Dying light or most Unity games? compared to those even Witcher 2 performs like a fucking rockstar
    Rochard game, which uses Unity3D, performs really well. If you know GL and compare how Rochard uses GL (e.g. with Apitrace) with some other Unity3D based games, you'll understand why.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X