Civilization: Beyond Earth Likely To Drop Intel/AMD Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Do that too. Frankly, though, some gamers will overlook that requirements list page and then complain in the Civilization forums when they find out things don't work. I see nothing wrong with a one time message stating AMD and Intel aren't supported so that gamers will for sure notice what is supported and what is not.

Granted, FOSS AMD & Intel drivers, along with Fglrx (I've seen game fixes in the fglrx release notes before) will catch and eventually handle the game just like what happened with The Witcher 2.
    I don't honestly care what illiterate people will end up doing. Putting that kind of a warning is just *idiotic*. Do you think it'll be removed later when drivers get fixed? Yeah, right, fat chance

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Fwiw do any history pages for such information exist? In software industry couple of years is a lifetime and no one remembers older things without them being written down
      Not that I know of... when I got involved 7+ years ago it was already tough to dig up much in the way of accurate history without finding people who had been involved from the start and picking their brains. I do know that we started with open source drivers (working with Precision Insight for the initial drivers IIRC) in 1999/2000 but then moved to a proprietary driver as part of integrating the FireGL teams a couple of years later.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        I don't honestly care what illiterate people will end up doing. Putting that kind of a warning is just *idiotic*. Do you think it'll be removed later when drivers get fixed? Yeah, right, fat chance
        That's your opinion and it's fine. However, I think we can agree that anything would be better than having Aspyr artificially preventing the game from running, if AMD or Intel GPU hardware is detected to prevent a surge of bug reports and/or angry players. I personally think that is unlikely but who knows.

Comment

That's your opinion and it's fine. However, I think we can agree that anything would be better than having Aspyr artificially preventing the game from running, if AMD or Intel GPU hardware is detected to prevent a surge of bug reports and/or angry players. I personally think that is unlikely but who knows.
          Seriously, Aspyr will most likely not be actively testing it with AMD and Intel drivers after release to see if they can remove the warning if they put it in now. That's what not what for-profit development companies do. Eg Chromium is non-profit and they as well have to be regularly be screamed at to remove years and years old workarounds that cripple the user experience of modern users. I as and AMD user do not want to see such warnings in the game for the rest of my life

Comment

Heh... Well that isn't really any different then the devs saying that they'll drop support for AMD on the Linux port but have the logo appear anyway. Suppose they might just remove the "AMD Gaming Evolved" intro video from the Linux port for the time being?
            Then Firaxis may not let them to port anything anymore Also Firaxis should say there: Linux version is optimized for nVidia

In addition to its use of DirectX 11, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will be among the first wave of products optimized for the latest in AMD graphics technologies, including the new Mantle graphics API, for enhanced graphics performance; AMD CrossFire, for UltraHD resolutions and extreme image quality; and AMD Eyefinity, which allows for a panoramic gameplay experience on up to six different HD displays off a single graphics card.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth is not yet rated by the ESRB, and will be available for Windows PC on October 24th, 2014 for $49.99. Mac and Linux versions are coming soon. For more information on Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, please visit www.civilization.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow Civilizations on Twitter and subscribe to Civilization on YouTube.
            Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of groundbreaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the world. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.

Comment

Linux version is optimized for nVidia
              Optimized for used to mean the game works across all GPUs and has custom optimized code paths for the sponsoring vendor. I do get that today games use it as a synonym for "only works right on" but I can be nostalgic for the gold old days that never actually happened.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Optimized for used to mean the game works across all GPUs and has custom optimized code paths for the sponsoring vendor. I do get that today games use it as a synonym for "only works right on" but I can be nostalgic for the gold old days that never actually happened.
                Well, Windows users have two binaries 'CivilizationBe_DX11.exe' and 'CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe' . So we can have 'CivilizationBe_Nvidia', 'CivilizationBe_AMD', 'CivilizationBe_Intel', 'CivilizationBe_Nouveau', 'CivilizationBe_Radeon', etc

Here people say 'CivilizationBe_DX11.exe' is generic one and 'CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe' is special one which enable everything... that is how seems to human psychology works

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Well, Windows users have two binaries 'CivilizationBe_DX11.exe' and 'CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe' . So we can have 'CivilizationBe_Nvidia', 'CivilizationBe_AMD', 'CivilizationBe_Intel', 'CivilizationBe_Nouveau', 'CivilizationBe_Radeon', etc

Here people say 'CivilizationBe_DX11.exe' is generic one and 'CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe' is special one which enable everything... that is how seems to human psychology works
                  You shouldn't forget CivilizationBe_GLES.

Comment

Originally posted by iv841 View Post
                    Well, if it is actually usable, games might just as well start to take advanatge now ?
                    They can why not , i don't usually use Windows but have it on one partition for tests so i just installed newest beta driver and:

As i see 4.4 is fully supported, and half of 4.5 Nearly 300 extensions... oh, what is that GL_AMD_gcn_shader

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                    You shouldn't forget CivilizationBe_GLES.
                    Ah yes and CivilizationBe_Freedreno, CivilizationBe_Lima, CivilizationBe_Glide... and of course source called CivilizationBe_RMS
                    Last edited by dungeon; 04 December 2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

He, he, got a GPU lockup on Windows After running some Direct3D11 and OpenGL benchs and played a little CivilizationBe_Mantle... got lockup on DirectX9 version of Unigine Valley

Someone might fill a bug for that i don't care
                      Last edited by dungeon; 04 December 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X