Valve's Portal 2 Now In Beta On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
    You need to opt in for the beta. Other wise it will definitely not work.

Too bad that after I choose a new game, during the loading portal 2 crashes.
    I did opt in, and I downlowaded the linux beta. But it doesn't load if you click on Play. I tried launching the shellscript from the command line, but it seems seriously broken. Endlines are Windows. Fixing that gets it to at least parse part of the bash script. But it doesnt really launch anything. If I initialized a bash variable to be the name of the windows executable, it does try to load, but exits with a wine error. Oh well, my son will have to wait. I am glad to support Linux porting, regardless.

Comment

Valve is already talking with amd.

There seem to be a few nvidia users, with the same issue though.

The last line in the command line I see, is something about a window

After this nothing seems to happen any more.

A few fixed the problem by installing the opensource driver

Comment

<3 this game

in case it segfaults/crashes for you

make sure you don't have glibc 2.18 and/or upgrade to 2.19

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          <3 this game

in case it segfaults/crashes for you

make sure you don't have glibc 2.18 and/or upgrade to 2.19
          Steam has all the system libs included with it which games use, so I doubt the system glibc would make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
            Steam has all the system libs included with it which games use, so I doubt the system glibc would make any difference.
            The steam runtime I have doesn't include a libc.so, so it uses the default 32bit one from the host system.

Comment

This game work fine, after I have patched my glibc 2.18 so it stop segfaulting.

Else I have one issue, I don't have the steam overlay thing in game (with shift-tab) so I can't browse community maps.

Coop mode work fine if my friend browse the community maps....

The steam overlay thingy is enabled in steam and game preferences.

Comment

I'd also love to browse for community maps, but P2's still in beta right now...

Comment

Finished it twice on Windows. Waiting for CS:GO.

Comment

Ok, this is actually running fine in Haswell. Here is the issue:
                    • in order to download the beta, you need to opt into using beta releases in your main Steam settings
                    • in order to have steam download beta updates, you nee to right click on the game's name, and opt in AGAIN

Incredibly confusing, but it's working quite nicely in my i5-4670k Haswell machine at max resolution.

Cheers for the suggestions to "opt-in".

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Looks like the bug has been fixed now with the latest patch.
                      Works like charm!

Comment

Working...
                      X