Valve's Portal 2 Now In Beta On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    As a customer, I can't say I'm too impressed with Valve. They take your money and then drop off the planet to work on something else. JMO.
    Honestly, i don't think this criticism is valid. Valve is famous for providing extremely long amounts of support. There was a huge blowup when LFD2 came out, simply because it was only 1 year after the first game and everyone expected them to do the usual thing and provide support, mods, and extensions for the next 5 years before moving on to the next game.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 26 February 2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 Development Version
      Mesa 10.2-devel (PPA)
      Linux: Custom 3.14-rc4 low latency kernel
      APU: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD 7660D GPU.
      Resolution: 1920x1080

Excellent performance with slight frame drop in some areas, especially when meeting with GlaDOS. Audio from announcer is missing for completion of test chambers 4 and 5 and an announcer dropped out after I place a cube in a super button in test chamber 0 and pass through emancipation grill. Camera points down sometimes when I pass the grill and in certain areas where music starts like when I get to the neurontoxin chamber. I almost completed the repulson gel area without a drop of a frame rate.

Overall, I'm very impressed with Portal 2 taking advantage of my open source radeon driver. Every setting is set to high or very high except with no AA and 2x AF.

I don't have the FPS numbers since the dev console is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        Interesting. Do you need to pay in order to try out the beta? I am very happy to pay for games and I buy steam-Linux games for the kids all time, buy paying for a beta seems a bit OTT. Thanks in advance!
        Yes, you would have to buy it first unless the devs gave you a key. "Early Access" games are also games in the beta stage and are sold via Steam. However many stupid people do not understand this and try to bash incomplete games.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM2Mzk

Not exactly soon, but better late than never
          Published on 02 May 2013 07:11 PM EDT
          Written by Michael Larabel in Gaming

Valve's very popular Portal and Portal 2 interactive puzzle video games are now natively available on Linux!
          Hm...

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            The Source 2 engine is D3D with another crappy D3D -> OGL translation layer. Yeah maybe they'll get around to doing native OGL support in Source 2.
            Where did you get that?

From Steam Dev Days 6 weeks ago:
            - The Source 2 Engine has been allegedly referenced many times and from the start it's been designed around Linux and OpenGL. It looks like DirectX will be out the door at Valve!
            Link

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
              It appears you don't even have to opt-in to the beta to get access. At least it's available for me, and I didn't have the beta selected.

For me, the game downloaded and installed without the opt-in beta but I had to enable it to actually launch the game. Works pretty decently, too. 60 FPS with medium shaders @ 1080p on an A10-4600M with FOSS driver.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

I don't have the FPS numbers since the dev console is disabled.
                The dev console is working for me. You can also set GALLIUM_HUD=fps when lauching Steam, as an alternative (gallium drivers only)

Comment

The only visual drawback seems to be the reduced shadow quality. Other than that it runs like a dream with NVIDIA.

Noticed while testing it that the shadow filtering seems to be much lower quality than the Direct3D build on Windows. I have included a screenshot comparing the same area with maxed out settings in...

Comment

Downloads, starts but without Announcer unplayable for me I don't want to ruin my experience.
                    Performance with Radeon driver (A10 5700K) is great btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                      Downloads, starts but without Announcer unplayable for me I don't want to ruin my experience.
                      Performance with Radeon driver (A10 5700K) is great btw.
                      To fix the Announcer look here:
                      Issues for the Linux port of Portal 2. Contribute to ValveSoftware/portal2 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X