Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know hopefully how "news" spreads in the Internet? Copy-Paste from other news sites. Journalism requires some "source checking" but in the Internet any news site simply Copy-Pastes from others so hoax is spread like a bush fire. Micheal set up hoax here... big time hoax. And now others copy the hoax claiming it real. So much for "journalism".

@Setlec:
    My problem with this situation is the "lack" of anything official. Claiming it's under NDA is a joke. If he would be under NDA he would not even have been allowed to hint to us the very existence of the project! So yes, In my book he's not a good journalist but a sensationalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      You know hopefully how "news" spreads in the Internet? Copy-Paste from other news sites. Journalism requires some "source checking" but in the Internet any news site simply Copy-Pastes from others so hoax is spread like a bush fire. Micheal set up hoax here... big time hoax. And now others copy the hoax claiming it real. So much for "journalism".

@Setlec:
      My problem with this situation is the "lack" of anything official. Claiming it's under NDA is a joke. If he would be under NDA he would not even have been allowed to hint to us the very existence of the project! So yes, In my book he's not a good journalist but a sensationalist.
      Yes I know lesser sites spread "news", C'T is a well known magazine... so It might not use the same source as the other sites. Couldn't find the source though... so Ive asked them about this. I'll it know if I get a reply.

About the NDA... most NDA don't hold up as soon a something is mentioned somewhere. This might be the case here. But then again, I'm practical I believe it when its there. I'm mentioning C't only for the interested, it had nothing todo with the fact if I believe it or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        @Setlec:
        My problem with this situation is the "lack" of anything official.
        I understand and I do agree with you!

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Claiming it's under NDA is a joke. If he would be under NDA he would not even have been allowed to hint to us the very existence of the project!
        I never said anything about NDA, IF he was under NDA, he obviously broke it!

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        So yes, In my book he's not a good journalist but a sensationalist.
        Maybe but most of his articles are pretty good, the sensationalism is probably related to this subject, imo!

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          The latest edition of C'T magazine (juli/august number) now also states this summer the linux version of steam will be released (in the dutch edition).

I'm windsurfing at the moment so can not check their sources at the moment.
          the website only says that 'several online magazines stated that Valve confirmed a linux client' but that there is no official word from Valve.

And since c't is usually supercarefully...

Comment

• my two ??: let Valve keep ignoring new segment of market... let them sticked with windows until Microsoft kick them out from the business with the live service (probably "forced" on a future windows update)

They are struggling in follow three different platform (XP/Vista/Seven -- DX9/DX10/DX11).. they have not enough business creativity to make something different from what Microsoft push them to.

The answer is: "switch to the cool Steve Jobs"?

Please!

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              the website only says that 'several online magazines stated that Valve confirmed a linux client' but that there is no official word from Valve.

And since c't is usually supercarefully...
              Again... I was talking about a more recent article in their magazine (on paper).

I've send them a mail about this, hopefully I hear next week from them.

Changes are its the same circulair reference thingy... but a linux user can always hope for the best, right?

Comment

Again... I was talking about a more recent article in their magazine (on paper).

I've send them a mail about this, hopefully I hear next week from them.

Changes are its the same circulair reference thingy... but a linux user can always hope for the best, right?
                Whey even waste your time, good sir? Valve have stated nothing on the topic. Phronix is posting complete, unsubstantiated lies. STEAM IS NOT COMING TO LINUX. It would be better to invest in the games that are already available for our platform, then wasting time "petitioning" steam coming to Linux. There is nearly 90,000 views on the Linux thread on Steam forums. Valve does not care about Linux. Not even one response from a rep on that thread. Linux users are 100% wasting their time on crap like this. I don't care at all what phronix has said. It does not change the fact that Steam isn't coming to Linux. I don't care if I get banned for the following.

F.U.C.K YOU and your pathetic articles/bullshit michael larrabee

Regards,

theclappyman

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                  I never said anything about NDA, IF he was under NDA, he obviously broke it!
                  Could be me then. I've read it in one of the post above so maybe I mixed up the origin of it.

Maybe but most of his articles are pretty good, the sensationalism is probably related to this subject, imo!
                  That though is true too. Hardware reviews are fine, that's correct. Which though matches my word. Not good as Journalist but as Reviewer he's good :P

Comment

• Originally posted by theclappyman View Post
                    Whey even waste your time, good sir? Valve have stated nothing on the topic. Phronix is posting complete, unsubstantiated lies. STEAM IS NOT COMING TO LINUX. It would be better to invest in the games that are already available for our platform, then wasting time "petitioning" steam coming to Linux. There is nearly 90,000 views on the Linux thread on Steam forums. Valve does not care about Linux. Not even one response from a rep on that thread. Linux users are 100% wasting their time on crap like this. I don't care at all what phronix has said. It does not change the fact that Steam isn't coming to Linux. I don't care if I get banned for the following.

F.U.C.K YOU and your pathetic articles/bullshit michael larrabee

Regards,

theclappyman
                    Well your probably right about me waisting my time. But I'll Explain it to you

I'm just curious about the source of C't because this magazine has real journalists on their payroll to write their articles. If they felt for this circulair source crap, than I would be very dissapointed.

Comment

Well your probably right about me waisting my time. But I'll Explain it to you

I'm just curious about the source of C't because this magazine has real journalists on their payroll to write their articles. If they felt for this circulair source crap, than I would be very dissapointed.
                      Everyone who states that "Steam is coming to Linux 100% ZOMG!!!!" uses Phronix as the source. It's despicable that Michael posts such crap with no regard to the truth.
                      He only cares about his ad revenue for this site. Think about it, this thread gets slashdotted and referenced by every fool on the internet, Michael_lies == Profit !
                      It's a joke at this stage imo. This crap has been rumored here for over two years, and it should stop. Again, Steam IS NOT coming to Linux folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X