Valve Publishes Steam Survey Numbers For April 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

liar ... you do not know the absolute numbers of steam accounts. thats why you can not know if the absolut numbers of linux users go down...

but go one lie lie lie...
    within linux steamos/ steam deck dropped back 2%, from like 50% to 48%

overall linux lost around 300,000 users, and added a few thousands.

Its all there in the data if you prefer to look at the data rather than guess. steam deck active users peaked last quarter. this isnt the first month the deck lost more users than it gained either.

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      within linux steamos/ steam deck dropped back 2%, from like 50% to 48%
      overall linux lost around 300,000 users, and added a few thousands.
      Its all there in the data if you prefer to look at the data rather than guess. steam deck active users peaked last quarter. this isnt the first month the deck lost more users than it gained either.
      the total number of valve steam accounts is unknown.

"active users" is not market share.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

the total number of valve steam accounts is unknown.

"active users" is not market share.
        roughly 300 million decreasing by about 10% per year as PC sales fall about 15% year on year last I checked. mostly from gamers switching to Quest 3 and PS5

Comment

roughly 300 million decreasing by about 10% per year as PC sales fall about 15% year on year last I checked. mostly from gamers switching to Quest 3 and PS5
          well it is correct that the PC sales go down but keep in mind valve does not sell PC computers...

valve clearly should bring up a complete line means valve smartphone and valve notebook/laptop and also steambox/PC...

valve should really have a interest to stop this: "gamers switching to Quest 3 and PS5"

one factor why PC is doomed and systems like PS5 success is the CPU-RAM+GPU-VRAM price overhead.
          the PC5 is technical speaking a SOC with only unified ram means no extra VRAM...
          all modern systems like Apple M4 are these kind of unified ram SOCs without extra VRAM costs.
          and the APUs amd sells on AM5 mainboard means 8700G is not really a performant solution.

the PC market will only recover with the realease of the AMD MEGA-APU SOCs with 16core Zen5 and 40CU GPU ( AMD Strix Halo)

i am pretty sure Valve will sell notebooks and steambox based on AMD Stric Halo...

with the current generation of APU like 8700G its pointless to build a steambox.

Comment

but keep in mind valve does not sell PC computers...
            right, and sales down doesn't match users down, because there is a lot of hysteresis.

But you can clearly see the 10% down in stats like:
            An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

Originally posted by qarium View Post
            valve should really have a interest to stop this: "gamers switching to Quest 3 and PS5"
            Fingers crossed for a refresh of the valve index running steamos on nvidia silicon stacked with RT cores, good hand tracking, a nice little bluetooth joypad and decent linux/windows/mac desktop (VR) streaming as standard.

Don't think anything less than that is going to turn the tide tbh, and its literally a rumour I made upon reading that valve and nvidia have been cocontributing to NVK.
            Last edited by mSparks; 10 May 2024, 05:40 PM.

Comment

right, and sales down doesn't match users down, because there is a lot of hysteresis.
              But you can clearly see the 10% down in stats like:
              https://steamcharts.com/app/730

again active users is not market share. also keep in mind it is normal in summer time to have less active users because they all come and play again in winter time.

hysteresis.... so you still think you are right and it just need time to proof you are right because the effect just comes later...

i do not think so many people already have a computer and for them is is fast enough why should they buy a new PC ?? my pc is 6-7 years old and the threatripper 1920x and a vega64 is still fast enough why should i buy new?

but this does not mean that i am not a valve steam customer and i buy new games litterally every month mand of them are old classic hacker style games like Uplink or Hacknet i bought them this month for 20€

you do not need a Nvidia 4090 to play a hacker game from the year 2001...

you need to prove that valve is losing customers and losing sales but it is clearly not the case valve can make good money on 20 year old games no problem... just see the command and conquer series they makes sales for millions of euros every month and all the command and conquer classics are in the TOP sales.

do you think you need a Nvidia 4090 to play command and conquer red alert ?

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
              Fingers crossed for a refresh of the valve index running steamos on nvidia silicon stacked with RT cores, good hand tracking, a nice little bluetooth joypad and decent linux/windows/mac desktop (VR) streaming as standard.

Don't think anything less than that is going to turn the tide tbh, and its literally a rumour I made upon reading that valve and nvidia have been cocontributing to NVK.
              you are clearly delusional about nvidia next month the release of RDNA4 is there and raytracing hardware based accelerators will be up par with the Nvidia RT cores.

this means any valve hardware will not have a Nvidia gpu... from the AMD radeon 7900GRE as a base line the RDNA4 8800XT will have 40% higher performance in ray tracing. the jump from RDNA2 to RDNA3 was only 17% higher raytracing performance.

"Don't think anything less than that is going to turn the tide tbh,​"

Nvidia hardware can not compete in price it is overpriced garbage. and their open-source driver is a joke with LOL 62mb firmware LOL....

you can only turn the tide if the price of the hardware is cheaper not more expensive thats why Nvidia is a no go.

"and its literally a rumour I made upon reading that valve and nvidia have been cocontributing to NVK."

it is true but only because valve optimise steam and mesa opensource drivers for all kind of hardware.

does not mean that valve release hardware with overpriced nvidia hardware,.

and keep in mind RDNA4 annihilate any benefit in ray tracing what nvidia has.

also keep in mind RDNA3 already has the Matrix AI acceleration cores you need for FSR4.0 what replace the software based FSR3.1 what will bring it on par with AI hardware based DLSS and FSR4.0 will be released with the RDNA4 hardware release.

Comment

again active users is not market share.
                you multiply market share by active users to get number of users.

So 300,000,000 x 2% = 6,000,000 linux users

50% of which are steam decks

= 3,000,000 steam decks.

also keep in mind it is normal in summer time to have less active users because they all come and play again in winter time.
                year on year compares this month with the same month a year ago, seasonal changes don't affect that.
                hysteresis.... so you still think you are right and it just need time to proof you are right because the effect just comes later...
                hysteresis is because a 15% decrease in new users does not equal a 15% decrease in users.
                total depends also on how many users are stopping.

i do not think so many people already have a computer and for them is is fast enough why should they buy a new PC ?? my pc is 6-7 years old and the threatripper 1920x and a vega64 is still fast enough why should i buy new?

but this does not mean that i am not a valve steam customer and i buy new games litterally every month mand of them are old classic hacker style games like Uplink or Hacknet i bought them this month for 20€

you do not need a Nvidia 4090 to play a hacker game from the year 2001...

you need to prove that valve is losing customers and losing sales but it is clearly not the case valve can make good money on 20 year old games no problem... just see the command and conquer series they makes sales for millions of euros every month and all the command and conquer classics are in the TOP sales.

do you think you need a Nvidia 4090 to play command and conquer red alert ?

you are clearly delusional about nvidia next month the release of RDNA4 is there and raytracing hardware based accelerators will be up par with the Nvidia RT cores.

this means any valve hardware will not have a Nvidia gpu... from the AMD radeon 7900GRE as a base line the RDNA4 8800XT will have 40% higher performance in ray tracing. the jump from RDNA2 to RDNA3 was only 17% higher raytracing performance.

"Don't think anything less than that is going to turn the tide tbh,​"

Nvidia hardware can not compete in price it is overpriced garbage. and their open-source driver is a joke with LOL 62mb firmware LOL....

you can only turn the tide if the price of the hardware is cheaper not more expensive thats why Nvidia is a no go.

"and its literally a rumour I made upon reading that valve and nvidia have been cocontributing to NVK."

it is true but only because valve optimise steam and mesa opensource drivers for all kind of hardware.

does not mean that valve release hardware with overpriced nvidia hardware,.

and keep in mind RDNA4 annihilate any benefit in ray tracing what nvidia has.

also keep in mind RDNA3 already has the Matrix AI acceleration cores you need for FSR4.0 what replace the software based FSR3.1 what will bring it on par with AI hardware based DLSS and FSR4.0 will be released with the RDNA4 hardware release.
                OK, you waffling a bit/thinking out loud there, nothing wrong with that.

let me just point out, quest 3 has almost certainly shipped more $500 headsets in the last 3 months than valve shipped decks in the last 2 and a half years....

Comment

you multiply market share by active users to get number of users.
                  So 300,000,000 x 2% = 6,000,000 linux users
                  50% of which are steam decks
                  = 3,000,000 steam decks.

give me the source of this number "300 000 000" because you did made this number up all by yourself.

year on year compares this month with the same month a year ago, seasonal changes don't affect that.
                  hysteresis is because a 15% decrease in new users does not equal a 15% decrease in users.
                  total depends also on how many users are stopping.
                  OK, you waffling a bit/thinking out loud there, nothing wrong with that.
                  let me just point out, quest 3 has almost certainly shipped more $500 headsets in the last 3 months than valve shipped decks in the last 2 and a half years....
                  ok lets say Quest 3 is the best VR headset ever and it sells like hot cake problem is i am not interested at all.

LOL...

and valve discovered this as well they did VR headset games like half-life Alyx and they discovered that they can make more money with steam deck,..

quest 3 could be the most successfull VR headset of all times but this still only represent a very small amount of the market.

Comment

give me the source of this number "300 000 000" because you did made this number up all by yourself.
                    there are multiple source for it, probably the most rigorous is based on published sales figures and

and valve discovered this as well they did VR headset games like half-life Alyx and they discovered that they can make more money with steam deck,..
                    Steam Deck 2 has already been teased to investors
                    Valve designers Lawrence Yang and Pierre-Loup Griffais speaking with The Verge revealed the Steam Deck handheld ha sold [...]

quest 3 could be the most successfull VR headset of all times but this still only represent a very small amount of the market.
                    Quest is currently outselling Xbox series X|S and has been for some time.

10 million units a year compared to microsofts 8 million a year.

Comment

there are multiple source for it, probably the most rigorous is based on published sales figures and
                      https://store.steampowered.com/charts/topselling/global
                      you give me a list of Topseller LOL these top seller sales are clearly not the total number of steam accounts.
                      this means you have nothing to back up your claims and valve does not release their total number of accounts.

Steam Deck 2 has already been teased to investors
                      Valve designers Lawrence Yang and Pierre-Loup Griffais speaking with The Verge revealed the Steam Deck handheld ha sold [...]

Quest is currently outselling Xbox series X|S and has been for some time.
                      10 million units a year compared to microsofts 8 million a year.
                      and what exactly should i think about something is teased to investors ? they do this all the time with zero relevance if you are not a investor..
                      for whatever reason it is important for you if something is sold more often than other stuff.

you are clearly delusional because all these sales means nothing and the reason is subsidies

Sony pay subsidies on playstation 5 they lose money with every sale.

valve pay subsidies on steam deck they lose money with every sale.

microsoft pay subsidies on xbox they lose money with every sale.

the more units they sell the more money they lose because they pay more subsidies.

the PC means laptop/Desltop/workstation loses big in marketshare because of this because no one pay subsidies on PC's

in this meaning its a wonder why a free and open platform like PC still has some marketshare without subsidies.

Comment

Working...
                      X