Proposed "LibGodot" Lets You Embed Godot Game Engine Into Other Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed "LibGodot" Lets You Embed Godot Game Engine Into Other Apps

Phoronix: Proposed "LibGodot" Lets You Embed Godot Game Engine Into Other Apps

Miguel de Icaza who founded GNOME and of Mono / Ximian / Xamarin fame is now talking up the greatness of the Godot game engine and the opportunities that are presented with code proposed for mainlining to introduce "LibGodot" to make it easy to embed Godot scenes into other apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This probably isn't the intended use, but this seems like it'd be awesome for hiding Easter Eggs.

Comment

I would like to see the Godot Scripting engine released as a library that can be embedded in applications to provide scripting abilities. The Godot scripting language is very similar to Python.
      Python is not good for embedding because it uses a vanity license and it is unsafe as it not meant for embedding so any script can do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        This probably isn't the intended use, but this seems like it'd be awesome for hiding Easter Eggs.
        Heh, where I used to work we developed a libdosbox so we could "embed" some old industrial control software into our "new hotness". It worked remarkably well and the best thing was that it opened us up to embedding the entire catalog of early 90s games into our tool. It took some real self-restraint to not do it

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Heh, where I used to work we developed a libdosbox so we could "embed" some old industrial control software into our "new hotness". It worked remarkably well and the best thing was that it opened us up to embedding the entire catalog of early 90s games into our tool. It took some real self-restraint to not do it
          Now we know why applications take up 1GB to install these days, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Now we know why applications take up 1GB to install these days, huh.
            Indeed. Filled with good stuff (minus 90s games)

Weirdly, if I recall, the emulator lib plus control software came to ~10MB. That was smaller than most "hello world" GUI programs these days.

Likewise something like DOSBox + Windows 3.1 + Office 4.3 is probably about the size of i.e one or two dependencies for Libreoffice.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would like to see the Godot Scripting engine released as a library that can be embedded in applications to provide scripting abilities. The Godot scripting language is very similar to Python.
              Python is not good for embedding because it uses a vanity license and it is unsafe as it not meant for embedding so any script can do anything.
              can you tell me what is a vanity license ?
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

this is so out of character for a sith apprentice, he should be pushing directx

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

can you tell me what is a vanity license ?
                  A vanity license is a custom license created for a specific software instead of using an established licenses.
                  Examples of normal licenses are like the GPL, LGPL, MIT, Apache, and the BSD licenses, etc.
                  Vanity licenses are the Python Software Foundation License, PHP License, Ruby License, and the PostgreSQL License.

It is better if all software uses one of the common and established licenses instead of write their own license. Vanity licenses creates problems such as license proliferation.

Comment

I also think it is an Easter Egg, but...
                    It have use cases. I heard Microsoft had an idea to make operating system in VR, Mozilla was creating VR browser and even there are Desktop Environment in VR. Why just do not use VR, but game engine to control system via mouse/keyboard in nice environment.?

Comment

Working...
                    X