Proposed "LibGodot" Lets You Embed Godot Game Engine Into Other Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qarium View Post

can you tell me what is a vanity license ?
    As uid313 mentioned.

It sounds like a derogatory remark but just like a vanity domain (i.e kpedersen.com (not mine)), it can just mean something along the lines of unique, tailored, bespoke, custom, etc.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 14 April 2024, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Heh, where I used to work we developed a libdosbox so we could "embed" some old industrial control software into our "new hotness". It worked remarkably well and the best thing was that it opened us up to embedding the entire catalog of early 90s games into our tool. It took some real self-restraint to not do it
      We all know there's only one DOS game that truly matters

image.png

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        A vanity license is a custom license created for a specific software instead of using an established licenses.
        Examples of normal licenses are like the GPL, LGPL, MIT, Apache, and the BSD licenses, etc.
        Vanity licenses are the Python Software Foundation License, PHP License, Ruby License, and the PostgreSQL License.
        It is better if all software uses one of the common and established licenses instead of write their own license. Vanity licenses creates problems such as license proliferation.
        yes you are right this is a real problem. i did already read that rust more or less beats all other languages because unlike C or C++ rust has only 1 official compiler and also with rust you more or less you have only 1 extension source and also you can set a option to only accept MIT license in this extention source and this more or less eliminate all problems.

this vanity license for python is really bad.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Lachu View Post
          I also think it is an Easter Egg, but...
          It have use cases. I heard Microsoft had an idea to make operating system in VR, Mozilla was creating VR browser and even there are Desktop Environment in VR. Why just do not use VR, but game engine to control system via mouse/keyboard in nice environment.?
          This is not a good idea, overall. The biggest reason is most of our current software is 2d, and the most used one is the browser, so a real problem is text. When you have a 3D rendering of Text, it can become extremely hard to read, you end up just creating a Texture of the rendered page/screen if you want something like a browser.

Apple's new VisionOS has a better idea, at least conceptually, but you are using a lot of power that you really don't need to just to have a cool effect that not every machine can handle even today.

You also introduce a completely different control scheme, and games controls are frankly simplistic compared to editors such as Photoshop/Gimp and especially text based OSes such as Emacs.

Comment

May be someone would creating a whole new desktop environment out of this. Who knows?

Comment

I would like to see the Godot Scripting engine released as a library that can be embedded in applications to provide scripting abilities. The Godot scripting language is very similar to Python.
              Python is not good for embedding because it uses a vanity license and it is unsafe as it not meant for embedding so any script can do anything.
              Yeah it could make for a good Electron alternative since it has both a good language, optimized engine and no shitty DOM. I mean, you can probably even wrap it up in python and end up with something better than Tcl/Tk so...

Comment

Urge to replace QGraphicsView with Godot in a QWidget GUI rising.

Comment

A vanity license is a custom license created for a specific software instead of using an established licenses.
                  Examples of normal licenses are like the GPL, LGPL, MIT, Apache, and the BSD licenses, etc.
                  Vanity licenses are the Python Software Foundation License, PHP License, Ruby License, and the PostgreSQL License.

It is better if all software uses one of the common and established licenses instead of write their own license. Vanity licenses creates problems such as license proliferation.
                  It doesn't seem to be problem for all the projects embedding Python.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Urge to replace QGraphicsView with Godot in a QWidget GUI rising.
                    Have you considered QQuickWidget?

In the early days of QtQuick it was even based on QGraphicsView, just much easier and nicer to program for.
                    Especially when items are compositions of other items.

I once demoed that to a customer (back in Qt4 times) who had been using a full screen QGraphicsView for a Kiosk style system.

It took me less than two days to replicate most of their UI with Qt Declarative. They hadn't thought about that because they hadn't realized it was already available in Qt4 and using the very same technology they knew to work on their hardware.

With Qt5 this was switched to more efficient (and usually hardware accelerated) rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      Have you considered QQuickWidget?

In the early days of QtQuick it was even based on QGraphicsView, just much easier and nicer to program for.
                      Especially when items are compositions of other items.

I once demoed that to a customer (back in Qt4 times) who had been using a full screen QGraphicsView for a Kiosk style system.

It took me less than two days to replicate most of their UI with Qt Declarative. They hadn't thought about that because they hadn't realized it was already available in Qt4 and using the very same technology they knew to work on their hardware.

With Qt5 this was switched to more efficient (and usually hardware accelerated) rendering.
                      You seem to be assuming that I actually like QML, Qt Quick, or Kirigami... I do not.

If I combined the technologies, I'd be doing it more as a way to write something akin to the Warcraft 2 level editor, but with QWidget APIs servicing the menus, toolbars, and dockable sidebar panels instead of the Godot project which would still provide the central canvas. (Basically the look and feel the Moondust Project achieves using Qt without Godot, but with more ability to have a Unity IDE or Godot IDE-like in-editor preview.)

In all honesty though, I'm generally pretty happy with using PyQt or PySide (with MyPy for better-than-QML static checks) to write Inkscape-esque stuff with QWidget where I use QGraphicsView as the central canvas that should never have widgets in it for the same reason Windows 3.1-style MDI user interfaces died off.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 15 April 2024, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X