No announcement yet.

Linux 6.8 To Add Support For Several Cheap ARM-Powered Handheld Game Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.8 To Add Support For Several Cheap ARM-Powered Handheld Game Consoles

Phoronix: Linux 6.8 To Add Support For Several Cheap ARM-Powered Handheld Game Consoles

The upcoming Linux 6.8 kernel cycle will be adding mainline support for several low-cost ARM Linux handheld gaming consoles that are suitable for running retro games, older game emulators, and other lightweight software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael

Typo

"Powkiddy X55 as a devvice starting" should be "device"

Comment

what a blot of outdated low-performance low-quality chip support. Hope they delete it soon! Think about all the precious lines of code that could be used for duplicated amdgpu header defines!

Comment

Typos: devvice, Anberic

Comment

Would much rather buy something like this as a toy, with at least some semblance of software maintainability, instead anything without a mainlined kernel. Could be used as more than just "retro" gaming in the long run

Comment

How can it be called cheap, it has linux mainline support. It's cheap when they can't even pay developer to do that.

(Like nvidia)

Comment

Ironically, it makes more sense to add support for these cheap chinese devices than to add support for the pixel 6 because there will be people that will actually use these kernels.
              I'm sure you'll be able to count with one hand the number of people who will ever use a kernel newer than 6.8 on any currently still sold pixel (>7) whereas these handheld consoles can run various custom OSes and it's common to use newer kernels once support in mainline lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomer View Post
                Ironically, it makes more sense to add support for these cheap chinese devices than to add support for the pixel 6 because there will be people that will actually use these kernels.
                I'm sure you'll be able to count with one hand the number of people who will ever use a kernel newer than 6.8 on any currently still sold pixel (>7) whereas these handheld consoles can run various custom OSes and it's common to use newer kernels once support in mainline lands.
                Pixel 6 be mainline can help for future PostmarketOS and Fedora Phosh ports, panfrost will work with this mali gpu can be good and in some cases the PanVK in future can support it

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  what a blot of outdated low-performance low-quality chip support. Hope they delete it soon! Think about all the precious lines of code that could be used for duplicated amdgpu header defines!
                  Excuse me my autism: Is it sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Excuse me my autism: Is it sarcasm?
                    It must be. One could ask in reply: "How is your micro kernel coming along? ", but that would be mean and being mean on the internet doesn't achieve anything. So it's probably best ignore those comments altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X