Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamOS 3.5.5 Released To Stable With Steam Deck OLED Support & Many Other Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 3.5.5 Released To Stable With Steam Deck OLED Support & Many Other Changes

Phoronix: SteamOS 3.5.5 Released To Stable With Steam Deck OLED Support & Many Other Changes

Valve has released SteamOS 3.5.5 to its stable channel for Steam Deck users that brings Steam Deck OLED device support, HDR display settings if supported by the external display, the default color rendering for Steam Deck LCD now emulates the sRGB color gamut, and many other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how many and how quickly these improvements will make it to ChimeraOS.

Comment

Is the OLED screen on the refreshed Deck capable of HDR or variable refresh?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Is the OLED screen on the refreshed Deck capable of HDR or variable refresh?
        HDR=yes.
        VRR=I think so.

Comment

There is no VRR because of the connector they use.

Comment

Question - If I were to buy a Steamdeck Oled, and install opensuse tumbleweed on it (let's say early 2024 - kernel 6.7 / mesa 24.0), could I expect it to work fine?

To be clear: yes, i understand that an interface built around default use of gamescope would not be configured.

But could I expect all the Human Interface stuff to work seamlessly, without drivers install or technical config?
            Specifically:
            Would the thumpads/thumbsticks/trackpads/buttons - all be recognised as an 'SDL gamepad'?
            Would the gyro's work to automatically reorient the desktop into portrait/landscape depending on how you hold the device?​

Comment

Updated today, turning on HDR on my LG C2 OLED looks like shit. Not sure if I got some wrong setting. Aside from that, no other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by saboya View Post
                Updated today, turning on HDR on my LG C2 OLED looks like shit. Not sure if I got some wrong setting. Aside from that, no other issues.
                Boy those HDR hardware color profiles are a royal PITA ain't they? Shame Linux doesn't have that kind of support isn't it? Don't expect Valve to automagically handle all HDR monitors beyond their own panel because, like audio hardware profile support (why most modern desktop/laptop computers sound like utter crap in Linux even with good headphones- the OEM version specific audio profile is missing), color and contrast range support are model specific. The Deck's panel is likely factory calibrated so will have its profile built in already. Your device's panel would not have a color profile available so it's going to look bad. HDR support requires more than just a stack capable of transferring more than 8 bit color depth. It also has to have the color profiles for the display it sends it to.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

HDR=yes.
                  VRR=I think so.
                  I haven't read about them using a new connector with support for VRR.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

HDR=yes.
                    VRR=I think so.
                    Unfortunately VRR is not available on the built-in display since it uses the same connector as the original, but it can work on external displays.

Comment

Working...
                    X