Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Phoronix: Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Valve just announced the Steam Deck OLED as an upgraded version of their Steam Deck handheld Linux gaming device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That limited edition with the transparent black shell looks AMAZING.

I love my Steam Deck.

But I cannot justify purchasing another, even if the display is HDR. I can only hope they'll release an upgrade kit or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
      That limited edition with the transparent black shell looks AMAZING.

I love my Steam Deck.

But I cannot justify purchasing another, even if the display is HDR. I can only hope they'll release an upgrade kit or something.
      It's probably largely for new buyers and possible converts from other handhelds. Someone can of course gift or resell a deck, but I don't think I'm in the position to spend that this round, regardless of the specs

Comment

The APU in the newer node and 25% bigger battery must give a nice bump in game time. Unless if the new screen have a much bigger power consumption.

Comment

Wasn't the first steam deck Zen 2 based with RDNA2 graphics? Are they switching to Zen 4 (unlikely on 6nm), sticking to Zen 2 on a node shrink, or taking inspiration from Rembrandt's Zen3+ on 6nm? The WIFI 6E seems to imply the latter.

Something doesn't compute.
          Last edited by saladin; 09 November 2023, 02:25 PM. Reason: Added WIFI note

Comment

IIRC, zen4 has a mixed lithography. The laptop ones do 4NM finfet while the desktop ones are 5 or 6 I believe.

Zen4 has big improvements over 3 and 3 had improvements over 2, so I don't think the lithography being above 4nm is a big deal here. It lowers the cost and presumably improves the availability
            Last edited by Mitch; 09 November 2023, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              The APU in the newer node and 25% bigger battery must give a nice bump in game time. Unless if the new screen have a much bigger power consumption.
              Valve claims the OLED also uses less power here. They say the overall battery life is 30 to 50 percent better

Comment

"6nm APU"

Very interesting. N6 is backward compatible with N7, which is how they could pull this off: https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicat...form_DCE_N7_N6

And I know a lot people are wondering why they didn't go Zen4/RDNA3... And its because even the most miniscule change in silicon is tens or hundred of millions of dollars, upfront, before you even make a single chip. But switching an existing design to a compatible process skips most of that cost.

Even just shifting to N6 is a huge deal. It means AMD and Valve see this as a profitable market worth significant investment. Maybe they'll even revive the Van Gogh line for the Zen 5 generation.
                Last edited by brucethemoose; 09 November 2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Zen 4c cores would've been nice. Maybe in two years.

Comment

HDR....hmmm.

I hope this means that ChimeraOS will get this soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X