Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
    Valve's strategy of opening Steam OS to other handheld makers seems to have failed, anyway, so Steam Deck 2 will be necessary. Unless Micrsoft Gaming division implodes.
    Valve took a risk by selling a machine that wasn't able to support many of the most popular multiplayer games. It worked out for them in the end, but obviously SteamOS was going to be a hard sell for any other handheld PC maker

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

Their core business is games, and steam. KDE and desktop mode it's an addon. I don't think it's in their roadmap, they have their things to do. BUT what valve does inspires other DE devs to watch and learn and act. So soon we might be there universally not just on KDE. Chrome OS also switched to wayland may be that will improve situation as well.
      Then they should wait until I buy a Steam Deck just for games!
      Not being able to see my personal photos and videos in HDR and other people's videos and movies in HDR is not cool at all and not something that I want.
      You ask me for more than half a thousand bucks and then your devices cannot play media as it should, which would impress me and my friends?
      I'm sorry, but I don't have much time for games.
      But playing movies on the TV with my family or friends would be a totally different level.
      Not everyone can or wants to play games.
      For me a device just to play games is not enough!

Comment

They have a nice long changelog, some interesting bits that I haven't seen anyone mention:

> Changed charging LED to WRGB
        Different colors to show status?

>A bunch of items around screws / to make it easier to fix - w
        Looking forward to next iFixit rating.

>Added preliminary support for open-source BIOS and EC firmware
        Coreboot? Would be awesome.

Comment

A very good upgrade. Kudos to valve

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Then they should wait until I buy a Steam Deck just for games!
            Not being able to see my personal photos and videos in HDR and other people's videos and movies in HDR is not cool at all and not something that I want.
            You ask me for more than half a thousand bucks and then your devices cannot play media as it should, which would impress me and my friends?
            I'm sorry, but I don't have much time for games.
            But playing movies on the TV with my family or friends would be a totally different level.
            Not everyone can or wants to play games.
            For me a device just to play games is not enough!
            They want you to buy games via their store so they will get their commission. Their goal is not make money on a device sale if I'm correct.

​​​​​so you are not a target audience for this device, buy a Lenovo one

Comment

I really don't understand why they didn't use eDP.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                Ok, just seen the LTT review and he says no VRR. He even asked Valve, they said because they use MIPI instead of eDP they can't support it... ;_(
                Even if it doesn't support VRR, according to the Digital Foundry video, it does seem to support basically arbitrary refresh rate in a wide range, and the game mode frame limiter automatically switches to a consistent refresh rate, which is neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
                  Out of curiousity, why have you been a Steam hater?
                  I guess the usual. I grew up on physical games, that I could lend to my friends or sell. Steam took all that away. Then Companies used even more evil copy protections. Then GOG came along and I supported their goal of having a DRM free, offline downloadable installers. The Humble Indie Bundles were great and supported Linux. So I had little reason to change my mind about steam. I'm not a hardcore AAA gamer.

I still have to make up my mind about copy protection on steam. I would absolutely despise always-online stuff. Ideally I'd only support no-bullshit games. No third-party Launcher, account or DRM. I think Steam already tells you about stuff like that on their store pages...

Another problem I have with steam (if I understand that right). I can only play one game at a time on one computer right? So I can't give the deck to my son, play a purchased game, while I'm even logged into my account on my PC right? Not even if he gets his own account and I family share him stuff. There is an entire library lock if one plays games. Right?

That is just stuff you don't have to worry about, if you actually owned something. I understand the concept of owning stuff and of borrowing stuff. But "buying" on steam is somehow less then both.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                    I want a reason to buy this, but I only play a few games a decade.
                    I'm seriously considering it as a generic laptop replacement for remote field work. Systems running off 12v. Lights, fridge, displays.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

I guess the usual. I grew up on physical games, that I could lend to my friends or sell. Steam took all that away. Then Companies used even more evil copy protections. Then GOG came along and I supported their goal of having a DRM free, offline downloadable installers. The Humble Indie Bundles were great and supported Linux. So I had little reason to change my mind about steam. I'm not a hardcore AAA gamer.

I still have to make up my mind about copy protection on steam. I would absolutely despise always-online stuff. Ideally I'd only support no-bullshit games. No third-party Launcher, account or DRM. I think Steam already tells you about stuff like that on their store pages...

Another problem I have with steam (if I understand that right). I can only play one game at a time on one computer right? So I can't give the deck to my son, play a purchased game, while I'm even logged into my account on my PC right? Not even if he gets his own account and I family share him stuff. There is an entire library lock if one plays games. Right?

That is just stuff you don't have to worry about, if you actually owned something. I understand the concept of owning stuff and of borrowing stuff. But "buying" on steam is somehow less then both.
                      I'm the same. I went back to Steam for a spell to olay Conan Exiles. I oartook of the beta, and despite it being a rubbish game (typical FunCom), played it a good while.

Came back to it recwntly and jees, wtf m8. Always on solo offline? It tries so hard to go on, and Inhave ti sit and wait for it to fail to log on as Im offline mode. Which I neef to r enable on occassion as oer Stram licencing.

As for the Steam library, I believe you can share it. Not entirely sure if they lock you out of just the active games. That probably comes down to the publicker; one licence, one machine sort of thing.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X