Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutris 0.5.14 Released For Better Managing Your Games On Linux

Phoronix: Lutris 0.5.14 Released For Better Managing Your Games On Linux

Lutris 0.5.14 is out today as the newest feature update to this Python-written open-source solution for managing your games on Linux whether they be native titles or via Steam Play / Wine as well as integrating into popular gaming services like Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, and EA App. With Lutris 0.5.14 this centralized Linux game launcher has picked up some additional capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That was missing for a long time:
    support for user-defined tags/categories
    Favorites alone is just not good enough as 2nd category.

Comment

My go-to Wine manager just keeps getting better

Comment

Lutris is simply awesome. Some of my steam games I like to setup custom prefix's and have had better results in Lutris. Of course for my GOG games as well. Steam proton is not the only game in town that is for dang sure. If I'm going to setup a dgvoodoo wrapper I prefer it over proton.

The only advantage I can think that steam really has over it is the downloadable and processable shaders for performance right out of the gate for newer games that are system demanding.

Right now in steam I have over 85GB of shaders precached.
        Last edited by creative; 20 October 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Harmful crap for the "casuals".

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            That was missing for a long time:

Favorites alone is just not good enough as 2nd category.
            This seems to be a teen/tween thing - the excess of tagging, explicit categorization, etc. It's a product of the limited UI/X of phone interfaces. You don't see files and directories in the traditional style as that's largely abstracted away. You see objects referred to by tags and categories. File names are only relevant to the underlying software.

Me... I don't have a use for game launchers. My currently installed games just live on disk with a link directly on my desktop or inside a subfolder/directory named "games". I've ditched Steam these days as Valve has neglected its technical upkeep and lack of modernization -and I'm at the point where I don't do any games with DRM no matter how inconspicuous. Galaxy is kinda buggy to say the least and doesn't have a Linux version. I don't see the point in "launchers", especially on Linux. You have to install the full version of GOG's Linux games each time they update anyway so incremental updates isn't even a thing to manage. I never used Steam or Galaxy to talk to anyone. I use dedicated programs for that. I'm a child of the 80s. I know where stuff I personally installed lives, and I don't need tags. I sort by descriptive directory and file names. I know... I'm an old fogy and don't care.

Comment

Some of us know that the ultimate god of all gaming platforms is gzdoom though.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

This seems to be a teen/tween thing - the excess of tagging, explicit categorization, etc. It's a product of the limited UI/X of phone interfaces. You don't see files and directories in the traditional style as that's largely abstracted away. You see objects referred to by tags and categories. File names are only relevant to the underlying software.

Me... I don't have a use for game launchers. My currently installed games just live on disk with a link directly on my desktop or inside a subfolder/directory named "games". I've ditched Steam these days as Valve has neglected its technical upkeep and lack of modernization -and I'm at the point where I don't do any games with DRM no matter how inconspicuous. Galaxy is kinda buggy to say the least and doesn't have a Linux version. I don't see the point in "launchers", especially on Linux. You have to install the full version of GOG's Linux games each time they update anyway so incremental updates isn't even a thing to manage. I never used Steam or Galaxy to talk to anyone. I use dedicated programs for that. I'm a child of the 80s. I know where stuff I personally installed lives, and I don't need tags. I sort by descriptive directory and file names. I know... I'm an old fogy and don't care.
                Think I agree with almost everything, but some launchers make tinkering with mods and effects a lot simpler and easier, if you're into that kind of thing. I too am giving up on DRM pretty hard these days, especially since my future makes internet access less than reliable. Also I'll probably be banned from Steam one day, if they don't just flat out become intolerable, especially likely after Lord Gaben dies... Not that he's sick or that I want him to; long may he live. The people demand he produce a successor ..Same probably for Mr. Torvalds?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Think again, I am in my 40s, I am a pretty heavy emacs user and have a fetish for ergonomic/mechanical keyboards, but I also have one for trackballs, but mostly they suck for games... but I digress.

The point is you have to use the mouse to play most games, so why would I switch forth and back from a tui to a gui and back on this machine I use a desktop UI tu play UI Games.

If you want to be really cool and a child of the 80s there is things like that:
                  Organize and launch your Steam games from Emacs. Contribute to Kungsgeten/steam.el development by creating an account on GitHub.

But I think you are more home in the church of Vim

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                    Some of us know that the ultimate god of all gaming platforms is gzdoom though.
                    Literally the only game engine on the planet tbh

Comment

Working...
                    X