No announcement yet.

Counter-Strike 2 Now Available With An Initial Linux Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully in comparison to Windows. It's been a while since Valve games have been compared between OS.

Comment

As a heavy CS player back in the 90s, I am underwhelmed with the quality of the Linux native version. Well, they had a months long Beta test already and there are still game breaking bugs right from the start, e.g. no audio and the game doesn't even start up every time reliably. It also constantly crashes back to desktop after a full bot match session. The cartoonish look and feel doesn't suit me very well either. I guess that means another decade or so before giving this re-make a try.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        As a heavy CS player back in the 90s, I am underwhelmed with the quality of the Linux native version. Well, they had a months long Beta test already and there are still game breaking bugs right from the start, e.g. no audio and the game doesn't even start up every time reliably. It also constantly crashes back to desktop after a full bot match session. The cartoonish look and feel doesn't suit me very well either. I guess that means another decade or so before giving this re-make a try.
        The audio issue is solvable. Go to CS2 settings - audio and then change the device from default to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
          Hopefully in comparison to Windows. It's been a while since Valve games have been compared between OS.
          Unfortunately for AMD users on Linux there are graphical bugs and performance issues not present on Nvidia or Win10 right now. as a result I get about 50% more FPS and smoother frame times while running Windows vs Arch Linux and AMDGPU (xorg)

Comment

Game seems to run fine/ok for me on Linux with 6700 XT, unlike old CS:GO crashfest.
            However, it looks and feels very outdated and allocates more VRAM than Fortnite with RT (lulz). And can totally confirm terrible tin can sound design. Looks like a minimal maintenance update that has been overdue for many years. I guess one couldn't expect more with Valve's humble income of 30% sale charges...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Game seems to run fine/ok for me on Linux with 6700 XT, unlike old CS:GO crashfest.
              However, it looks and feels very outdated and allocates more VRAM than Fortnite with RT (lulz). And can totally confirm terrible tin can sound design. Looks like a minimal maintenance update that has been overdue for many years. I guess one couldn't expect more with Valve's humble income of 30% sale charges...
              Is a game judged by video memory today? (LOL) Maybe a game that takes up 64kB is the best in the world because it took up little VRAM?
              What specifically is wrong with the sound?
              Sounds good, realistic on my hardware. Although unusual. I'll give it time.

What surprises me is that it seems like a beta version.
              FPS drops. Crashing servers. Becomes. Unable to start the game, because instead of the game menu you see a few black and green pixels spread out. Well, maybe it will be playable in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                Is a game judged by video memory today?
                Don't act stupid and actually give it thought. Steam hardware survey might provide guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Don't act stupid and actually give it thought. Steam hardware survey might provide guidance.
                  Video memory is the last thing that would bother me in such a game. There are completely different priorities. And I have old hardware.

Didn't it just occur to you to set it up differently? Or wait for updates? Such a stupid thing as video memory, they can do magic with it.

And more. How can you know it's wrong when it fills your memory? What do you have that memory for?
                  Don't you know that the behavior of a program can change depending on your hardware? Don't be stupid.​
                  I'm not complaining about video memory, and I don't even do the survey. I have worse hardware.

Press Escape-and modify settings... test it... test it... all...
                  Last edited by Rovano; 29 September 2023, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

The audio issue is solvable. Go to CS2 settings - audio and then change the device from default to something else.
                    It is solvable, but I wonder how their QA team could miss such a big one. Even after two patches, the game doesn't start up at the first try, I need to try at least 3 - 4 times until the Valve intro video finally appears. Sigh.

Comment

Is anyone else seeing weird blobs of color around the edge of the screen? It's mostly on the right edge and sometimes also the bottom edge. They seem to bleed in from the edge over time and sometimes spontaneously clear up. It reminds me a lot of old video cards with failing memory but it's way less random and only in CS2. It's also not uniformly prevalent on each map. Italy does it a lot. Office doesn't.

It also won't remember my secondary fire key if it's set to forward slash. I'm guessing it's stored wrong in the key config file and should be escaped or something.

7950X3D + 7900 XTX
                      Mesa 23.2.0~rc3
                      Linux 6.5.5
                      Last edited by Particle; 30 September 2023, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X