Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DXVK 2.3 Brings Presentation Improvements, More Game Fixes, "hideNvidiaGpu" Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 2.3 Brings Presentation Improvements, More Game Fixes, "hideNvidiaGpu" Option

Phoronix: DXVK 2.3 Brings Presentation Improvements, More Game Fixes, "hideNvidiaGpu" Option

It's been nearly four months since the release of DXVK 2.2 for this Direct3D 9/10/11 API implementation built atop the Vulkan API that is used by Valve's Steam Play (Proton) for enjoying Windows games on Linux. Out today is DXVK 2.3 as the latest major step forward for the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news, I'm using DXVK 2.2 to play Genshin Impact and performance is a bit better than Windows 11 22H2. Can't wait to check this update 🥳

Comment

f it we need native games

Comment

The Sims 2
        Very nice, if only the license situation wasn't such a mess and you could still buy it anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
          wrong. they tried it with the orginal steambox to go the native game route it failed.
          the steam deck is only successfull because of proton.

the paradox with that is that most engines because of this success add native support. and if the engines add native support the games can choose to add native support to.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

wrong. they tried it with the orginal steambox to go the native game route it failed.

the paradox with that is that most engines because of this success add native support. and if the engines add native support the games can choose to add native support to.
            Remind me again, was this in early 2014? I presume it is also a matter of context given plenty has changed since then. AMDs Metal API efforts and pushing open source gaming features is making crossplatform monetizeable.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

The original Steambox did everything wrong and it came out in a pre-Vulkan world. It was rushed to market and it used Debian as the OS. Valve's hope back then was basically "if we make a Linux device then they'll all start making Linux games" and that didn't turn out so well for them. Outside of console emulation, edge-case Windows games on Wine, and a very small number of native Linux games, Linux gaming was pretty awful before DXVK and D9VK if you weren't true, hardcore Linux geek that truly enjoyed tinkering with things.​

Originally posted by Errinwright View Post

Remind me again, was this in early 2014? I presume it is also a matter of context given plenty has changed since then. AMDs Metal API efforts and pushing open source gaming features is making crossplatform monetizeable.
              Mantle; which became Vulkan.

Metal is Apple's bastard-child version of Mantle/Vulkan because they have to Think Different.

Comment

This dxvk solve various issues on dx9, respect this

Tomb Raider Anniversary: Improved performance. (#3438, PR: #3439)​
                I remember tomb raider underworld show serious frame drops in some places on kraken cave

add support for VK_KHR_maintenance5 (actually supported on my uhd 630 also this VK_KHR_present_wait - VK_EXT_depth_bias_control - VK_EXT_line_rasterization but VK_EXT_swapchain_maintenance1 dont appear and dont see it on https://mesamatrix.net/)

very sadly them dont add d8vk now, curiously all tasks according github are completed

D8VK is far more feature complete at this point than I believe D9VK was when it was merged into DXVK in 2019. There are still maybe a few dozen edge case games that haven't been fixed yet but every...

Originally posted by hartree View Post
                The Sims 2
                Very nice, if only the license situation wasn't such a mess and you could still buy it anywhere.
                In before versions dxvk devs have very funny description, something like this:​

the sims 2 is a game made by complete morons
                Last edited by pinguinpc; 04 September 2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                  Even if you think you could convince enough game devs to port their new games to linux (which will not happen in the foreseeable future), D3D9-11, which is what DXVK implements, is pretty much dead for new games, most games coming out are D3D12 only. The thousands of existing D3D9-11 games will never get ported, not even in your fantasy universe.

Comment

Originally posted by hartree View Post
                    What's the messy "license situation"?
                    I thought EA simply removed the game to make players buy the sequels (Sims 3, Sims 4...)

Comment

Working...
                    X