Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Client Beta Adds New Scaling Setting Override

Phoronix: Steam Linux Client Beta Adds New Scaling Setting Override

While yesterday brought a major update to the Steam client stable series, tonight brings a new update to the Steam beta series with some notable enhancements to the Linux client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam is actually looking pretty good now. Finally.

Comment

Michael, it looks like the environment variable name is actually STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOPUI_SCALING, not STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOP_SCALING​, according to https://store.steampowered.com/news/...31965598323436.

Comment

Does it run natively on Wayland?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
          Michael, it looks like the environment variable name is actually STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOPUI_SCALING, not STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOP_SCALING​, according to https://store.steampowered.com/news/...31965598323436.
          I can confirm STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOPUI_SCALING is working for me. STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOP_SCALING is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Does it run natively on Wayland?
            No, and not only that, it's still a 32 bit executable:

Code:
            $ file steam/ubuntu12_32/steam                                                                                                                                              
            steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: ELF 32-bit LSB pie executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=603d36bac962b3904e5678c73fffe27b3916f231, not stripped​
            which means that even though Wine now could, with the PE migration, potentially only depend on 64 bit libraries, the Steam client keeps depending on multilib.

Comment

Michael

I read the release notes for the June 14th stable client update and it has support for STEAM_FORCE_DESKTOPUI_SCALING​, too (5th from the bottom). I also confirmed that it works on Steam Stable and that it fixed my scaling issues I was talking on the previous release thread.

Comment

I was using GDK_SCALE instead, but not everything with that scales so hopefully this new option works better.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I was using GDK_SCALE instead, but not everything with that scales so hopefully this new option works better.
                  For whatever reason, that one doesn't scale Steam for me. Perhaps a KDE Wayland thing?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    For whatever reason, that one doesn't scale Steam for me. Perhaps a KDE Wayland thing?
                    Not sure. My gaming PC uses Budgie, so its less of a surprise why GDK scaling works there.

Comment

Working...
                    X